Pages

Thursday, June 15, 2023

Weekly Newsletter

Glimpses of Glendale
Glendale Lutheran Church Newsletter


June 15, 2023

Fear Factor - article by Joel Hempel


Marcia and I both have delt with phobias from early in our childhood. She feared heights, and I had - and still do have - a fear of deep water. So, many years ago, on a vacation, we decided to challenge our fears. She agreed to go parasailing with me, and I agreed to snorkel with her. Parasailing 400 feet above the water did indeed help Marcia overcome her fear. My challenge did not go as planned.

 

The venue for snorkeling was an underground, half-mile stream on an island off the coast of Cancun, Mexico. It was supposed to be an afternoon of relaxed swimming and viewing the Creator’s beautifully designed coral and colorfully decorated tropical fish.

 

Marcia will verify what follows. I set a world record for underground snorkeling in a half-mile-long cave. Dog paddling as fast as possible, I introduced those around me to “speed snorkeling.” Heaven help any fish or human who got in my way! I was headed for the end of the tunnel and could care less about savoring the moment.

 

Fear is one of the strongest emotions. On the one hand, fear can be healthy. It can protect you and make you watchful against danger. On the other hand, fear can take over our thinking and beliefs and keep us stuck on a treadmill of worry.

 

Thank God, there is an antidote to unhealthy, immobilizing fear.

 

First, if you find yourself in a dark cave having to swim a half-mile through murky water, turn around and get out. But if you are facing spiritual darkness or the threat of the dark unknown, God invites us to lean into it with the awareness that our Lord is nearby. Our Lord promises never to leave or forsake us (see Psalm 23:4; Deuteronomy 31:6; John 14:16-18).

 

Secondly, speak the Word of God into the darkness. The light of Christ will give you night vision. Sometime ago, I read an article that included this sentence, “The remedy for the fear knots of Satan is the fear nots of God.” Keep handy our Lord’s “fear nots”:


  • Don’t let your heart be troubled, and don’t be afraid. My peace, I leave with you. John 14:27


  • Fear not, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10


  • The Lord is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1

 

Third, don’t face your fears alone. Thankfully, Marcia was nearby in that cave long ago to encourage me to keep going and to assure me I wouldn’t drown. When combatting debilitating fear, we need each other. “Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way, you will fulfill the law of Christ” (Galatians 6:2).

 

The perfect love of Jesus and our love of one another can defeat fear.

Voters' Meeting


The Voters’ Meeting during which the Leadership Council will request approval for its proposed 2023-2024 Church Budget will take place on June 25, 2023, in the Family Life Center immediately after that morning’s service. In addition to requesting approval for the Budget, the agenda will include a recommendation and discussions on using bequest funds to support Christ Community International’s construction of a Lutheran Secondary School in Kawete, Uganda. Christ Community Lutheran School Executive Director Matt Hoehner will also give a presentation on a CCLS building proposal designed to increase enrollment at the Glendale Campus. We look forward to seeing everyone on June 25!

Finance Update

Next Sunday's Bible Readings

Jeremiah 20:7-13; Romans 6:12-23; Matthew 10:5a, 21-33

Worship Leaders

This Sunday - 6/18

Lector: Sue Schultz

Communion: Steve Phelps, John Steele

Greeters: Bob & Debbie Jacobson

S/V: Ken Clark

Ushers: Terry Buchholz, Ron Froesel, Judy George, Becci Sasser

Children's Message: Tim Cosby

Next Sunday - 6/25

Lector: Julie Atwood-Wise

Communion: Steve Phelps, Mike Toney

Greeters: Steve & Phyllis Phelps

S/V: Paul Barbercheck

Ushers: Jack Hurley, Gerry Lucas, Rodger Lubben

Children's Message: Pastor Scott

The Word Within the Word
Online Calendar

Glendale Lutheran Church

Monday-Thursday 8:00 am-4:30 pm

(314) 966-3220

glendalelutheranchurch@gmail.com

Connect With Us:
Facebook  Twitter  Instagram