Pages

Thursday, September 14, 2023

Weekly Newsletter

Glimpses of Glendale
Glendale Lutheran Church Newsletter


September 14, 2023

Thank You - article by Joel Hempel


We are a small church at Glendale Lutheran. But we are not small in generosity and helpfulness.

 

A few Sundays ago, Frank fell walking up the stairs into church. Rushing to his aid were new and long-time friends. Two are better than one . . . If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up. Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

 

Not long ago, when I was discharged from the hospital, Marcia could not pick me up. She called friends. Ken and Mike came to my rescue and lifted my leg into and out of the car when they drove me home. Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way, you will fulfill the law of Christ. (Galatians 6:2) If all the ways Christian love is practiced in this congregation were listed for all to see, this article would become a book.

 

Maybe you will prove me wrong with your critical feedback (which I always welcome), but I do not experience us as an open congregation. By that, I mean I don’t see us being readily open with our feelings of hurt and sorrow, anger and fear, confession and absolution. But what we do not withhold from each other is love and concern, compassion and friendship. With these bonding gifts of Christ, we are mighty and generous.

 

“Joel, if you need anything, please call!” “How can I help?” “Don’t hesitate, call!” “How are you doing? I understand you have had a rough time with a few complications. Do you need anything?” I have received phone calls, get-well cards, offers of meals, text messages, and emails, and I know there have been countless prayer offerings. The Albers even brought us gelato and laughs. These and many other expressions of love and friendship have overwhelmed me.

 

Years ago, it was recommended that I get massages to treat migraines. Although they didn’t help my head, they felt good. But halfway through each session, I had to tell the massage therapist to stop. I needed a break. I honestly couldn’t handle the attention. It was too much.

 

Maybe you like a lot of attention. I don’t. It has to do with the feeling of inadequacy I have fought my entire life. But experiencing the outflow of love from you has broken through and has covered me with hope and healing.

 

All of you who have been praying for me and have reached out with love, it’s been a lot for me to take in. But I want you to know you not only represent yourself, you represent the love of Jesus. You are the incarnation of our Lord’s undeserved mercy; you are his unconditional love.

 

Most weeks, as I begin thinking about what to write to my brothers and sisters at GLC and a few friends and family around the country, I have no idea what I will write about. But as I pray, inevitably, the Spirit – I believe – gives me a nudge. This week, I knew I had to write about the love and friendship I always knew was present at GLC, but this time, I experienced it heart-to-heart when I was most in need.

 

Thank you.

Winter Clothing & Toy Drive

On October 7, Hands On Kirkwood will hold its annual “Free Winter Clothing & Toy Store.” Items to collect include coats, hats, gloves, sweaters, boots, and jeans for men, women and children sizes. We are also collecting toys, bicycles, children's books and diapers. Please make sure all items are clean and in good condition. 

 

This event provides winter clothing items for all ages to those in need within our community free of charge. It continues to grow each year. Please help this event continue to grow by donating items to the collection box in the hallway. Collection deadline is September 24. Thank you!

Financial Update

Next Sunday's Bible Readings

Isaiah 55:6-9; Philippians 1:12-14, 19-30; Matthew 20:1-16

Worship Leaders

This Sunday - 9/17

Lector: Ryan Philpot

Communion: Tony Petzoldt and Seminary Student

Greeters: Jerry & Beth Nicolaus

S/V: Ken Clark

Ushers: Lisa Grossenheider, Becci Sasser, Judy George, Jeanne Lipinski

Children's Message: Janet Leet

Next Sunday - 9/24

Lector: Beth Nicolaus

Communion: John Steele and Seminary Student

Greeters: Ken & Jeanne Clark

S/V: Mike Toney

Ushers: Steve Phelps, Gerry Lucas, Rodger Lubben, Jack Hurley

Children's Message: Ryan Philpot

The Word Within the Word
Online Calendar

Glendale Lutheran Church

Monday-Thursday 8:00 am-4:30 pm

(314) 966-3220

glendalelutheranchurch@gmail.com

Connect With Us:
Facebook  Twitter  Instagram