Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Worship Bulletin - Midweek Lenten


Welcome to Glendale Lutheran!

Pastor Scott Jonas would love to talk to you. You can contact him via cell 805-345-6658 or email scottjonas314@gmail.com.
Midweek Lenten Worship
6:30pm
Prelude
 
Greeting and Welcome
 
Lighting of the Candles
 
Hymn of Invocation – Jesus Sinners Doth Receive (LSB 609)
 
Jesus sinners doth receive;
Oh, may all this saying ponder
Who in sin’s delusions live
And from God and heaven wander!
Here is hope for all who grieve:
Jesus sinners doth receive.
 
We deserve but grief and shame,
Yet His words, rich grace revealing,
Pardon, peace, and life proclaim;
Here our ills have perfect healing.
Firmly in these words believe:
Jesus sinners doth receive.
 
Sheep that from the fold did stray
No true shepherd e’er forsaketh;
Weary souls that lost their way
Christ, the Shepherd, gently taketh
In His arms that they may live:
Jesus sinners doth receive.
 
I, a sinner, come to Thee
With a penitent confession.
Savior, mercy show to me;
Grant for all my sins remission.
Let these words my soul relieve:
Jesus sinners doth receive.

Oh, how blest it is to know:
Were as scarlet my transgression,
It shall be as white as snow
By Thy blood and bitter passion;
For these words I now believe:
Jesus sinners doth receive.
 
Now my conscience is at peace;
From the Law I stand acquitted.
Christ hath purchased my release
And my ev’ry sin remitted.
Naught remains my soul to grieve:
Jesus sinners doth receive.
 
Jesus sinners doth receive;
Also I have been forgiven;
And when I this earth must leave,
I shall find an open heaven.
Dying, still to Him I cleave:
Jesus sinners doth receive.
 
Invocation
P:  In the name of the Father and of the + Son and of the Holy Spirit.
C:  Amen.
 
Opening Sentences
P:  Have mercy on me, O God, according to Your steadfast love; according to Your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions.
C:  Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin!
P:  For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me.
C:  Against You, You only, have I sinned and done what is evil in Your sight, so that You may be justified in Your words and blameless in Your judgment.
P:  Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.
C:  Behold, You delight in truth in the inward being, and You teach me wisdom in the secret heart.
P:  Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
C:  Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones that You have broken rejoice.
P:  Hide Your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities.
Confession and Absolution
P:  If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
C:  But if we confess our sins, God, who is faithful and just, will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
P:  That we may have a conscience at peace, let us then confess our sins to God our Father.
C:  Most merciful God, we confess that we are by nature sinful and unclean. We have sinned against You in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done and by what we have left undone. We have not loved You with our whole heart; we have not loved our neighbors as ourselves. We justly deserve Your present and eternal punishment. For the sake of Your Son, Jesus Christ, have mercy on us. Forgive us, renew us, and lead us, so that we may delight in Your will and walk in Your ways to the glory of Your holy name.
P:  In the mercy of almighty God, Jesus Christ was given to die for us, and for His sake God forgives us all our sins. To those who believe in Jesus Christ He gives the power to become the children of God and bestows on them the Holy Spirit. May the Lord, who has begun this good work in us, bring it to completion in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.
C:  Amen.
 
First Reading – 1 John 5:1-21
Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome. For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?
This is he who came by water and blood—Jesus Christ; not by the water only but by the water and the blood. And the Spirit is the one who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth. For there are three that testify: the Spirit and the water and the blood; and these three agree. If we receive the testimony of men, the testimony of God is greater, for this is the testimony of God that he has borne concerning his Son. Whoever believes in the Son of God has the testimony in himself. Whoever does not believe God has made him a liar, because he has not believed in the testimony that God has borne concerning his Son. And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.
I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life. And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him.
If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask, and God will give him life—to those who commit sins that do not lead to death. There is sin that leads to death; I do not say that one should pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that does not lead to death.
We know that everyone who has been born of God does not keep on sinning, but he who was born of God protects him, and the evil one does not touch him.
We know that we are from God, and the whole world lies in the power of the evil one.
And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life. Little children, keep yourselves from idols.
 
P:  This is the Word of the Lord.
C:  Thanks be to God.
 
Second ReadingMatthew 11:27–30
All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
 
P:  This is the Word of the Lord.
C:  Thanks be to God.
 
Hymn – Beautiful Savior (LSB 537)
 
Beautiful Savior, King of creation,
Son of God and Son of Man!
Truly I’d love Thee, truly I’d serve Thee,
Light of my soul, my joy, my crown.
 
Fair are the meadows, fair are the woodlands,
Robed in flow’rs of blooming spring;
Jesus is fairer, Jesus is purer,
He makes our sorr’wing spirit sing.

Fair is the sunshine, fair is the moonlight,
Bright the sparkling stars on high;
Jesus shines brighter, Jesus shines purer
Than all the angels in the sky.
 
Beautiful Savior, Lord of the nations,
Son of God and Son of Man!
Glory and honor, praise, adoration
Now and forevermore be Thine!
 
Sermon                                                                                                                                     
Offering
 
Offertory
 
Apostles' Creed
I believe in God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth.
 
And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried. He descended into hell. The third day He rose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty. From thence He will come to judge the living and the dead.
 
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Christian Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life + everlasting. Amen.
 
Prayers
P:  Let us pray for the whole people of God in Christ Jesus, and for all people according to their needs.
 
P:  Heavenly Father, we see what a guilty conscience does to selves and relationships. As we look to the cross of Christ through it all, we thank You for the invitation to confess our sins and through Your Son to receive forgiveness and grace. Create in me a clean heart, O God,
C:  and renew a right spirit within me.
P:  Bless us in this Lenten season in all we do, serving You in our respective vocations, families, homes, and relationships with others. Give us strength and courage as we live as Your witnesses and speak Your truth in love. Create in me a clean heart, O God,
C:  and renew a right spirit within me.
P:  Be with those whose hearts are far from You, that their guilt be relieved, doubts be conquered, fears be given peace, dread given joy, and hopelessness given faith and trust in You. Be especially with those who request our prayers, and all who face struggles in their earthly journeys. Create in me a clean heart, O God,
C:  and renew a right spirit within me.
P:  Into Your hands, O Lord, we commend all for whom we pray, trusting in Your mercy, through Jesus Christ, our Lord.
C:  Amen.
 
Lord’s Prayer
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name, Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven; give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever. Amen.
 
Benediction
P:  The almighty and merciful Lord, the Father, the + Son, and the Holy Spirit, bless and preserve you.
C:  Amen.
 
Hymn – In the Cross of Christ I Glory (LSB 427)
 
In the cross of Christ I glory,
Tow’ring o’er the wrecks of time.
All the light of sacred story
Gathers round its head sublime.
 
When the woes of life o’ertake me,
Hopes deceive, and fears annoy,
Never shall the cross forsake me;
Lo, it glows with peace and joy.
 
When the sun of bliss is beaming
Light and love upon my way,
From the cross the radiance streaming
Adds more luster to the day.
 
Bane and blessing, pain and pleasure
By the cross are sanctified;
Peace is there that knows no measure,
Joys that through all time abide.
 
Postlude

+ WORSHIP LEADERS +
Preacher/Liturgist – Pastor Scott Jonas
Organist – Jim Thielker
Sound/Video – Tony Petzoldt

Acknowledgments
Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.