Pages

Thursday, June 6, 2024

Weekly Newsletter

Glimpses of Glendale
Glendale Lutheran Church Newsletter


June 6, 2024

Masterpiece - article by Joel Hempel


Who’s your favorite artist? Rembrandt? Monet? Michelangelo? I’m partial to my granddaughter Kiyah and our resident artists at GLC: Norma Bentzinger, Carol Froesel, Lisa Grossenheider, Valerie Wehmueller, and probably others I don’t know about. The other day, I told Carol and Norma I thought our artists should have an exhibition at church. I think it would be fun!

 

But my all-time favorite artist is, of course, God because the Creator created you!

 

We are God’s workmanship [His masterpiece] created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them (Ephesians 2:10).

 

I know you might look in the mirror or reflect on your limitations and think God may have let some rookie angel make you while He was out dealing with more important matters. You and I might think that, but we would be wrong.

 

Living in a fallen world where bodies and minds slowly deteriorate can lead a person to believe nothing is incredible about us. But look again and see what God sees: If anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come. The old has gone; the new is here! (2 Corinthians 5:17 NIV).

 

And then there is this:

 

You formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:13-14).

 

Christian: Yes, but God, have you taken a good look at me recently? I don’t look all that wonderful, and I know my inward parts; they’re not that pretty.

 

God: Here’s the problem with you feeling that way. It can get in the way of claiming the unique person I have created you to be and the special calling only you can handle for me. I didn’t just create you so you can coast into heaven. I have a plan for you. There are things I want you to accomplish in my name and for the well-being of others. I have loved you into being! Yes, I know you have brokenness in your life. Yes, I can see you are struggling with sin. I also see a person of beauty – my creation, my son, my daughter. You can trust my grace.

 

So, go ahead, look at yourself in the mirror, but look past the physical. Look and see your inner being. See your mind. Is it being transformed by the love of God and his unique desire for you (Romans 12:2)? Take a good look at your heart. Is it passionate about Jesus (Mark 12:30)? Pay attention to your will. Is it ready to be molded into the image God has of you (Matthew 6:10)?

 

If your answer is anything other than a resounding yes to the above questions, then you know what your prayer needs to be. Pray to have the eyes of God to see what he sees in you, to see your potential – whatever your age or circumstances.

 

Pray for the courage he wants to give to you.

Voters' Meetings


The Leadership Council is calling two Voters’ Meetings to take place in the Family Life Center immediately after the services on June 9, 2024, and June 23, 2024. The agenda for the June 9, 2024, meeting will include a first reading of the proposed 2024-2025 Church Budget and a request for the congregation to vote on some Parish House roof repair options along with approval to use bequest funds to pay for those repairs. The Leadership Council will then request voter approval for the Budget at the June 23, 2024, meeting. Please make sure to mark these dates in your calendar so you can attend and ask any questions you may have.

Finance Update

Next Sunday's Bible Readings

Genesis 3:8-15; 2 Corinthians 4:13--5:1; Mark 3:20-35

Worship Leaders

This Sunday - 6/9

Lector: Cathie Albers

Communion: Jerry Nicolaus & Seminary Student

Greeters: Ken & Jeanne Clark

S/V: Mike Toney

Ushers: Rodger Lubben, Steve Phelps, Mike Toney, John Steele

Children's Message: Tim Cosby

Next Sunday - 6/16

Lector: Greg Frimel

Communion: John Steele & Seminary Student

Greeters: Paul & Sandy Barbercheck

S/V: Terry Young

Ushers: Terry Buchholz, Ken Clark, Ron Froesel, Jack Hurley

Children's Message: Pastor Scott

The Word Within the Word
Online Calendar

Glendale Lutheran Church

Monday-Thursday 8:00 am-4:30 pm

(314) 966-3220

glendalelutheranchurch@gmail.com

Connect With Us:
Facebook  Twitter  Instagram