Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Worship Bulletin


Welcome to Glendale Lutheran!

Pastor Scott Jonas would love to talk to you. You can contact him via cell 805-345-6658 or email scottjonas314@gmail.com.
Midweek Lenten Worship
6:30pm
Prelude

Greeting and Welcome

Lighting of the Candles

Hymn of Invocation – Come to Calvary’s Holy Mountain (LSB 435)
 
Come to Calv’ry’s holy mountain,
Sinners, ruined by the fall;
Here a pure and healing fountain
Flows for you, for me, for all,
In a full, perpetual tide,
Opened when our Savior died.
 
Come in poverty and meanness,
Come defiled, without, within;
From infection and uncleanness,
From the leprosy of sin,
Wash your robes and make them white;
Ye shall walk with God in light.
 
Come in sorrow and contrition,
Wounded, impotent, and blind;
Here the guilty, free remission,
Here the troubled, peace may find.
Health this fountain will restore;
They that drink shall thirst no more.
 
Invocation
P:  In the name of the Father and of the Son + and of the Holy Spirit.
C:  Amen.
 
Opening Sentences                                                                                     
P:  O Lord, open my lips,
C:  and my mouth will declare Your praise.
P:  Make haste, O God, to deliver me;
C:  make haste to help me, O Lord.
Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit; as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen.
Praise to You, O Christ, Lamb of our salvation.

First ReadingIsaiah 56:1–8
Thus says the Lord: “Keep justice, and do righteousness,
  for soon my salvation will come, and my deliverance be revealed.
Blessed is the man who does this, and the son of man who holds it fast,
  who keeps the Sabbath, not profaning it, and keeps his hand from doing any evil.”
Let not the foreigner who has joined himself to the Lord say,
  “The Lord will surely separate me from his people”;
  and let not the eunuch say, “Behold, I am a dry tree.”
For thus says the Lord: “To the eunuchs who keep my Sabbaths,
  who choose the things that please me and hold fast my covenant,
I will give in my house and within my walls
  a monument and a name better than sons and daughters;
  I will give them an everlasting name that shall not be cut off.
“And the foreigners who join themselves to the Lord,
  to minister to him, to love the name of the Lord, and to be his servants,
everyone who keeps the Sabbath and does not profane it,
  and holds fast my covenant—
these I will bring to my holy mountain,
  and make them joyful in my house of prayer;
their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be accepted on my altar;
  for my house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples.”
The Lord God, who gathers the outcasts of Israel, declares,
  “I will gather yet others to him besides those already gathered.”
 
P:  O Lord, have mercy on us.
C:  Thanks be to God.
 
Second Reading1 Peter 1:13–21
Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.” And if you call on him as Father who judges impartially according to each one’s deeds, conduct yourselves with fear throughout the time of your exile, knowing that you were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your forefathers, not with perishable things such as silver or gold, but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot. He was foreknown before the foundation of the world but was made manifest in the last times for your sake, who through him are believers in God, who raised him from the dead and gave him glory, so that your faith and hope are in God.
 
P:  O Lord, have mercy on us.
C:  Thanks be to God.
 
Third ReadingMark 1:12-15
The Spirit immediately drove him out into the wilderness. And he was in the wilderness forty days, being tempted by Satan. And he was with the wild animals, and the angels were ministering to him.
Now after John was arrested, Jesus came into Galilee, proclaiming the gospel of God, and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”
 
P:  O Lord, have mercy on us.
C:  Thanks be to God.
 
Responsory                                                                                       
P:  Deliver me, O Lord, my God, for You are the God of my salvation.
C:  Rescue me from my enemies, protect me from those who rise against me.
P:  In You, O Lord, do I put my trust, leave me not, O Lord, my God.
C:  Rescue me from my enemies, protect me from those who rise against me.
P:  Deliver me, O Lord, my God, for You are the God of my salvation.
C:  Rescue me from my enemies, protect me from those who rise against me.
 
Hymn – Jesus Sinners Doth Receive (LSB 609)
 
Jesus sinners doth receive;
Oh, may all this saying ponder
Who in sin’s delusions live
And from God and heaven wander!
Here is hope for all who grieve:
Jesus sinners doth receive.

I, a sinner, come to Thee
With a penitent confession.
Savior, mercy show to me;
Grant for all my sins remission.
Let these words my soul relieve:
Jesus sinners doth receive.
 
Now my conscience is at peace;
From the Law I stand acquitted.
Christ hath purchased my release
And my ev’ry sin remitted.
Naught remains my soul to grieve:
Jesus sinners doth receive.
 
Sermon                                                                                                                                     
Apostles' Creed
C:  I believe in God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth.
 And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried. He descended into hell. The third day He rose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty. From thence He will come to judge the living and the dead.
 I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Christian Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life + everlasting. Amen.
Offering
Please scan the following QR code or visit https://tithe.ly/give?c=815174 to make a donation using your mobile device.
Offertory
 
Canticle
P:  Let my prayer rise before You as incense,
        and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
C:  My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God, my Savior;
  for He has regarded the lowliness of His handmaiden.
For behold, from this day all generations will call me blessed.
For the Mighty One has done great things to me, and holy is His name;
  and His mercy is on those who fear Him from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with His arm; He has scattered the proud in the   imagination of their hearts.
He has cast down the mighty from their thrones and has exalted the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich He has sent empty away.
He has helped His servant Israel in remembrance of His mercy as He spoke to   our fathers, to Abraham and to his seed forever.
Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit;
  as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen.
 
Lord’s Prayer
C:  Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name, Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven; give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever. Amen.
 
Collect
P:  O Lord, hear my prayer.
C:  And let my cry come to You.
P:  Almighty God, grant that in the midst of our failures and weaknesses we may be restored through the passion and intercession of Your only-begotten Son, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.
C:  Amen.
P:  O God, You sent Your Son to restore Your house to be a house of prayer for all nations. Give us courage to approach Your throne in prayer and to invite all nations to be Your people; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.
C:  Amen.
P:  O God, from whom come all holy desires, all good counsels, and all just works, give to us, Your servants, that peace which the world cannot give, that our hearts may be set to obey Your commandments and also that we, being defended from the fear of our enemies, may live in peace and quietness; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.
C:  Amen.
 
Benedicamus
P:  Let us bless the Lord
C:  Thanks be to God.
 
Benediction
P:  The grace of our Lord + Jesus Christ and the love of God and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
C:  Amen.
 
Hymn – I Lay My Sins on Jesus (LSB 606)
 
I lay my sins on Jesus,
The spotless Lamb of God;
He bears them all and frees us
From the accursèd load.
I bring my guilt to Jesus
To wash my crimson stains
Clean in His blood most precious
Till not a spot remains.
 
I lay my wants on Jesus;
All fullness dwells in Him;
He heals all my diseases;
My soul He does redeem.
I lay my griefs on Jesus,
My burdens and my cares;
He from them all releases;
He all my sorrows shares.
 
Postlude
 
+ WORSHIP LEADERS +
Preacher/Liturgist – Pastor Scott Jonas
Organist – Jim Thielker
Sound/Video - 
Acknowledgments
Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.