Pages

Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Worship Bulletin


Welcome to Glendale Lutheran!

Pastor Scott Jonas would love to talk to you. You can contact him via cell 805-345-6658 or email scottjonas314@gmail.com.
Midweek Lenten Worship
6:30pm
Prelude

Greeting and Welcome

Lighting of the Candles

Hymn of Invocation – Jesus, I Will Ponder Now (LSB 440)

Jesus, I will ponder now
On Your holy passion;
With Your Spirit me endow
For such meditation.
Grant that I in love and faith
May the image cherish
Of Your suff’ring, pain, and death
That I may not perish.
 
Make me see Your great distress,
Anguish, and affliction,
Bonds and stripes and wretchedness
And Your crucifixion;
Make me see how scourge and rod,
Spear and nails did wound You,
How for them You died, O God,
Who with thorns had crowned You.
 
Yet, O Lord, not thus alone
Make me see Your passion,
But its cause to me make known
And its termination.
Ah! I also and my sin
Wrought Your deep affliction;
This indeed the cause has been
Of Your crucifixion.

Invocation
P:  In the name of the Father and of the Son + and of the Holy Spirit.
C:  Amen.
 
Opening Sentences                                                                                     
P:  O Lord, open my lips,
C:  and my mouth will declare Your praise.
P:  Make haste, O God, to deliver me;
C:  make haste to help me, O Lord.
Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit; as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen.
Praise to You, O Christ, Lamb of our salvation.
 
First Reading – Zephaniah 2:1–3
Gather together, yes, gather, O shameless nation,
before the decree takes effect—before the day passes away like chaff—
before there comes upon you the burning anger of the Lord,
before there comes upon you the day of the anger of the Lord.
Seek the Lord, all you humble of the land, who do his just commands;
seek righteousness; seek humility;
perhaps you may be hidden on the day of the anger of the Lord.
 
P:  O Lord, have mercy on us.
C:  Thanks be to God.
 
Second Reading – Philippians 2:1–11
So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

P:  O Lord, have mercy on us.
C:  Thanks be to God.
 
Third ReadingMark 2:18-22
Now John’s disciples and the Pharisees were fasting. And people came and said to him, “Why do John’s disciples and the disciples of the Pharisees fast, but your disciples do not fast?” And Jesus said to them, “Can the wedding guests fast while the bridegroom is with them? As long as they have the bridegroom with them, they cannot fast. The days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast in that day. No one sews a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old garment. If he does, the patch tears away from it, the new from the old, and a worse tear is made. And no one puts new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the wine will burst the skins—and the wine is destroyed, and so are the skins. But new wine is for fresh wineskins.”
 
P:  O Lord, have mercy on us.
C:  Thanks be to God.
 
Responsory                                                                                       
P:  Deliver me, O Lord, my God, for You are the God of my salvation.
C:  Rescue me from my enemies, protect me from those who rise against me.
P:  In You, O Lord, do I put my trust, leave me not, O Lord, my God.
C:  Rescue me from my enemies, protect me from those who rise against me.
P:  Deliver me, O Lord, my God, for You are the God of my salvation.
C:  Rescue me from my enemies, protect me from those who rise against me.
 
Hymn – You Satisfy the Hungry Heart (LSB 641)

Refrain:  You satisfy the hungry heart
With gift of finest wheat.
Come give to us, O saving Lord,
The bread of life to eat.
 
With joyful lips we sing to You
Our praise and gratitude
That You should count us worthy, Lord,
To share this heav’nly food. Refrain
 
Is not the cup we bless and share
The blood of Christ outpoured?
Do not one cup, one loaf, declare
Our oneness in the Lord? Refrain

You give Yourself to us, O Lord;
Then selfless let us be,
To serve each other in Your name
In truth and charity. Refrain
 
Sermon                                                                                                                                     
Apostles' Creed
C:  I believe in God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth.
And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried. He descended into hell. The third day He rose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty. From thence He will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Christian Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life + everlasting. Amen.
Offering
Please scan the following QR code or visit https://tithe.ly/give?c=815174 to make a donation using your mobile device.
Offertory
 
Canticle
P:  Let my prayer rise before You as incense,
and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
C:  My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God, my Savior;
for He has regarded the lowliness of His handmaiden.
For behold, from this day all generations will call me blessed.
For the Mighty One has done great things to me, and holy is His name;
and His mercy is on those who fear Him from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with His arm; He has scattered the proud in the  imagination of their hearts.
He has cast down the mighty from their thrones and has exalted the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich He has sent empty away.
He has helped His servant Israel in remembrance of His mercy as He spoke to  our fathers, to Abraham and to his seed forever.
Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit;
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen.
 
Lord’s Prayer
C: Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name, Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven; give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever. Amen.
 
Collect
P:  O Lord, hear my prayer.
C:  And let my cry come to You.
P:  Almighty and everlasting God, grant us by Your grace so to pass through this holy time of our Lord’s passion that we may obtain the forgiveness of our sins; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.
C:  Amen.
P:  Lord Jesus Christ, You warned us about the danger of hypocritical religious leaders and the necessity of humility. Help us to follow Your example of humble obedience that we may be servants for all our days, for You live and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.
C:  Amen.
P:  O God, from whom come all holy desires, all good counsels, and all just works, give to us, Your servants, that peace which the world cannot give, that our hearts may be set to obey Your commandments and also that we, being defended from the fear of our enemies, may live in peace and quietness; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.
C:  Amen.
 
Benedicamus
P:  Let us bless the Lord
C:  Thanks be to God.
 
Benediction
P:  The grace of our Lord + Jesus Christ and the love of God and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
C:  Amen.
 
Hymn – My Faith Looks Up to Thee (LSB 702)

My faith looks up to Thee,
Thou Lamb of Calvary,
Savior divine.
Now hear me while I pray;
Take all my guilt away;
O let me from this day
Be wholly Thine!
 
May Thy rich grace impart
Strength to my fainting heart;
My zeal inspire!
As Thou hast died for me,
Oh, may my love to Thee
Pure, warm, and changeless be,
A living fire!
 
While life’s dark maze I tread
And griefs around me spread,
Be Thou my guide;
Bid darkness turn to day,
Wipe sorrow’s tears away,
Nor let me ever stray
From Thee aside.
 
Postlude
 
+ WORSHIP LEADERS +
Preacher/Liturgist – Pastor Scott Jonas
Organist – Jim Thielker
Sound/Video – Tony Petzoldt
Acknowledgments
Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.