Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Worship Bulletin

Midweek Advent Worship

November 30, 2022

6:30pm

+ ADVENT PROMISES +

 

Prelude

 

Greeting and Welcome

 

Lighting of the Candles

 

Call to Worship and Invocation

P:  Lift up your heads and open your eyes,

C:  For He is coming!

P:  Who is coming?

C:  The King of Glory!

P:  Praise and honor to the One who comes as King,

C:  Who comes in the name of the Lord.

P:  In the name of the Father and of the + Son and of the Holy Spirit.

C:  Amen.

P:  He came as a baby in a manger.

C:  Come, Lord Jesus.

P:  Let us open our hearts to Him,

C:  And walk in His ways.

P:  He will come again to take us to Himself in heaven.

C:  Come, Lord Jesus.

 

Advent Prayer

P:  The Lord be with you.

C:  And also with you.

P:  Dear heavenly Father, by the sending of your Son, Jesus, You kept your promise to a people long ago. We too thank you that Jesus became like us to save us from our sins and all forms of evil. Give us your Spirit to wait with faithful expectancy for Christ to come again in glory and power.

C:  Amen.


Promise - Isaiah 9:2-6

 The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shined. You have multiplied the nation; you have increased its joy; they rejoice before you as with joy at the harvest, as they are glad when they divide the spoil. For the yoke of his burden, and the staff for his shoulder, the rod of his oppressor, you have broken as on the day of Midian. For every boot of the tramping warrior in battle tumult and every garment rolled in blood will be burned as fuel for the fire. For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

 

Advent Song – Jesus, Name Above All Names (AGPS 145)

 

Jesus, name above all names,

Beautiful Savior, glorious Lord,

Emmanuel, God is with us,

Blessed Redeemer, living Word.

 

Jesus, loving shepherd

Vine of the branches, Son of God

Prince of Peace, Wonderful counselor

Lord of the universe, Light of the world.

 

Jesus, Way of salvation,

King of kings, Lord of lords,

The way the truth and the Life,

Mighty creator, my Savior and friend.

 

Fulfillment - Luke 1:26-33

In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. And the virgin’s name was Mary. And he came to her and said, “Greetings, O favored one, the Lord is with you!” But she was greatly troubled at the saying, and tried to discern what sort of greeting this might be. And the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. And the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.”


Mary’s Response – My Soul Now Magnifies the Lord (AGPS 177)

 

My soul now magnifies the Lord;

My spirit leaps for joy in Him.

He keeps me in His kind regard,

And I am blest for time to come.

 

For He alone who shows such might

Has done amazing things to me.

His mercy flows; His name like light

Remains in time perpetually.

 

His arm is strong; His strength is great.

He scatters those of proud intent

And casts them down from high estate,

Then gives the low His nourishment.

 

He feeds the hungry as His own;

The wealthy leave with empty hands.

He gives His help to Israel,

His gracious promise always stands.

 

Message – “Advent Promises…A Royal Child” - Isaiah 9:6

 

Luther’s Evening Prayer

C:  I thank you, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have graciously kept me this day; and I pray that You would forgive me all my sins where I have done wrong and graciously keep me this night. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let your holy angels be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen.


Lord’s Prayer

C:  Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name, Thy kingdom come,

Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven; give us this day our daily bread;

and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us;

and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever. Amen.

 

Blessing

 

Hymn of the Evening – Abide with Me (AGPS 54)

 

Abide with me, fast falls the eventide.

The darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide.

When other helpers fail and comforts flee,

Help of the helpless, oh, abide with me.

 

I need Thy presence ev’ry passing hour;

What but Thy grace can foil the tempter’s pow’r?

Who like Thyself my guide and stay can be?

Through cloud and sunshine, oh, abide with me.

 

I fear no foe with Thee at hand to bless;

Ills have to weight, and tears no bitterness.

Where is death’s sting? Where, grave, thy victory?

I triumph still if Thou abide with me!

 

Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes,

Shine through the gloom, and point me to the skies;

Heav’n’s morning breaks, and earth’s vain shadows flee;

In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.

 

+ + +

 

+ WORSHIP LEADERS +

Preacher/Liturgist – Seminarian Oliver LaMie

Pianist – Janet Leet

Sound/Video – John Steele


Acknowledgments
Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.