Pages

Monday, January 2, 2023

Weekly Newsletter

Glimpses of Glendale
Glendale Lutheran Church Newsletter

December 29, 2022

Happy New Year, everyone! I'm not sure how the Christmas Glimpses got sent out again last week, but this is the one that was scheduled to go out! Apologies for any confusion! ~ Michelle

On behalf of Ann and I thank you for all of the support and love via cards, dinners, transportation, and gifts. It has been a joy to tell my therapists and fellow patients how generous you are. I told the council the other night, "I know that Glendale Lutheran would support any member this way, not just their pastor." Your faith is evident to all.


My stroke was on November 6th. I was in the hospital for three weeks where I received 40 visitors including 10 pastors. I had members come and pray over me. People took Ann out to lunch. A member installed bars in my bathroom. The love shared was beautiful.


My left side was completely flaccid. I couldn't move it during the first days. Daily physical and occupational therapy is working. A month ago I was a moderate fall risk, now I am a low one. I practice walking without a cane. My grip registered a 6, now it's 30. I am grateful for the wonderful therapists whom God has sent me. I'm continuing daily therapy 8am to 1:30pm through January 29.


I am also touched by those who have taken up my responsibilities at church. Pastor Albers, Oliver and Jon are huge blessings. Albers will continue to help while I am recovering. I will be preaching on the 15th, using a stool. Michelle continues to be an incredible asset to us.


Thank you also for supporting us financially. Our salary and deductible are taken care of by the congregation. That is a big load off my mind. I couldn't ask for a better church. Ann has strengthened and encouraged me. God is so good.

It's Not Just Theology - article by Joel Hempel


The birth of Christ is not just theology. The word theology is constructed from two Greek words: Theos (God) and logos (word). So, theology means words about God. There are a lot of words in songs, sermons, and teachings about the birth of Jesus. These are essential words, crucial words to inform us and communicate biblical truth. But the birth of Jesus is far more than words about Jesus.

 

Imagine, if you will, being pregnant. Of course, women can imagine this more easily than men. But you men out there, try to imagine a baby growing inside you. From my male perspective, I can’t think of anything more exciting and frightening than a baby growing in me. What a wonderful blessing and responsibility!

 

Christmas is about a baby conceived and growing in Mary. But Christmas is more than that amazing truth. It is also about Jesus being conceived and growing in each of us. Unlike the biology of birth, however, Jesus does not exit our being after nine months. Nor does Christ within us remain a spiritual baby. Jesus grows within us our entire lives to fill our being – our decisions, passions, thoughts, feelings, expressions, and behavior.

 

To have Jesus within us is salvation, life now and into eternity. Also, to have Jesus within us is to have him and his theology (his words about God and God’s will) applied in our lives and lived out in our relationships.

 

I remember with great excitement and amazement the birth of our sons. I was privileged to be among the first generation of men permitted to be in the delivery room and watch the incredible miracle of birth. There is almost nothing more fantastic than watching a little human being born from the woman you love.

 

I say “almost” because there is one thing more incredible. It is the realization that Christ Jesus is literally within you, growing and changing your life for the better and forever.

Finance Update

Next Sunday's Bible Readings

Isaiah 42:1-9; Romans 6:1-11; Matthew 3:13-17

Worship Leaders

This Sunday - 1/1

Lector: Cathie Albers

Communion: Mike Toney

Greeters: Judy George

S/V: John Steele

Ushers: Ken Clark, Tony Petzoldt, Gerry Lucas

Children's Message: Janet Leet

Next Sunday - 1/8

Lector: Greg Frimel

Communion: Terry Buchholz

Greeters: Greg & Karen Frimel

S/V: Tony Petzoldt

Ushers: Judy George, Lisa Grossenheider, Becci Sasser

Children's Message: Tim Cosby

The Word Within the Word
Online Calendar

Glendale Lutheran Church

Monday-Thursday 8:00 am-4:30 pm

(314) 966-3220

glendalelutheranchurch@gmail.com

Connect With Us:
Facebook  Twitter  Instagram