Pages

Thursday, March 2, 2023

Weekly Newsletter

Glimpses of Glendale
Glendale Lutheran Church Newsletter

March 2, 2023

One of the responsibilities I gave up after my stroke was writing a glimpses article. I’m now back half time and I am restarting that weekly endeavor. I’m in the office Mondays and Wednesdays, mostly to prepare the two worship services. If you want to visit in person, those and Sundays are the best days to do it. Otherwise, I prefer you contact me on my cell.


Tuesday, Thursday and Friday I am doing rehabilitation to my body. I get picked up at 7:30am because therapy starts at 8am. Thank you to Ann, Ron Froesel, Becci Lauber, Miriam Lee and Kevin Metzler for the rides. I then do 90 minutes of physical therapy (lower body) and 90 minutes of occupational therapy (upper body) with breaks and lunch. Jackie, my physical therapist, coaches me to walk, do squats, lunges and a host of bizarre exercises. In one grueling exercise I sit on a stool with wheels and use only my weak leg to propel me around the room. She is a great encourager. Kellie, my occupational therapist, stimulates my hand with electrical current and gives me dexterity exercises. I pick up nerf balls, marbles, golf tees, Velcro, puzzles and anything else she can think of. Kellie knows just how to help my hand and arm recover.


I feel your prayers every day. My rehab has hit a snag. In January, I hurt my wrist doing strengthening work. I either have a hairline break in my wrist or a ligament tear. The doctors are trying to figure it out. Meanwhile, I thank you for your patience. I am definitely slower and more scattered than before. Thank you to the deacons for visiting the shut-ins. I am grateful to everyone who has taken on my responsibilities. I will remain half time until I no longer need therapy. My insurance is willing to pay it as long as I am improving. Only God knows how long that will be.

Your Battle Belongs to the Lord - article by Joel Hempel


Last Friday night, Marcia and I enjoyed taking most of our family out to dinner for our daughter-in-law’s birthday and worshipped together at Nathan (son) and the family’s church. One song we sang was The Battle Belongs to You, Lord. The lyrics touched my soul!

 

Sunday, as I read the prayer needs in the bulletin and listened to the prayer requests from the congregation, I thought there are many battles going on; the ones I know about are only the tip of the iceberg. Many of us never share our personal or family battles. Battles against temptation, battles with addiction, battles against deteriorating health, battles with loneliness, battles on behalf of a loved one, battles against mental illness, battles with our spouse, our children, our boss or co-workers, battles with our limitations, and countless other battles.

 

So many battles! Where’s the hope? How do we not give up? Where’s the victory to be found?

 

Almost everyone, even non-religious, knows the story of David and Goliath. But most people, including many Christians, don’t know why David was successful against this giant more than two feet taller than Shaquille O’Neal. Here’s part of the back story:

 

Because of his disobedience, King Saul lost favor with God. So, God chose someone to replace him – a son of a faithful Jew named Jesse. When the prophet Samuel went to find this chosen one, David was but a shepherd boy.

 

Not long after David was declared to be the anointed one, Israel’s archenemy at the time – the Philistines – was threatening the defeat of Israel. Their fierce warrior, Goliath, challenged Israel to send their best warrior out against him to engage in hand-to-hand combat. Of course, no one was foolish enough to take the challenge. David, sent by his father to carry nourishment to his brothers on the battlefield, overheard Goliath’s insults. Offended for God and his people, David accepted the challenge. Why would a slightly built fifteen-year-old take the challenge? Because he knew what all of us need to know.

 

It was not his slingshot, and marksmanship David relied on. The God of his faith, the Almighty One, chose him. The Lord equipped David not with man-made weapons but with the faith of a seasoned believer. Confronted by the giant and his taunts, David declared: “The Lord saves not with sword and spear. For the battle is the LORD’s, and he will give you into our hand.”

 

I don’t know if your battle is as scary as a nine-foot giant. Maybe what you’re dealing with is scarier. But know this: You are God’s beloved. He has chosen you and prepared you for the battle(s) you face. Don’t try to take on your Goliath with your physical and mental gifts alone. By God’s grace, trust our Lord to give you victory. It’s your cross, but it’s his battle.

 

If you are looking for strength and courage for the fight, I refer you to the Scripture passages below.

Scriptural Support for the Battle



Thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 1Corinthians 15:57

 

Then he said to me, “Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the Lord of hosts. Zechariah 4:6

 

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. James 4:7

 

Moses said to the people, “Fear not, stand firm, and see the salvation of the Lord, which he will work for you today. For the Egyptians whom you see today, you shall never see again. The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.” Exodus 14:13-14

 

The Lord your God is he who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies, to give you the victory.’ Deuteronomy 20:4

 

Take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Ephesians 6:17

 

We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed. 2 Corinthians 4:8

 

I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber.  Psalm 121:1-3

 

If God is for us, who can be against us? . . .In all these things, we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. Romans 8:31, 37

 

I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

 

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. 1 Corinthians 10:13

 

“When you go out to war against your enemies, and see horses and chariots and an army larger than your own, you shall not be afraid of them, for the Lord your God is with you . . . Deuteronomy 20:1

 

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9

 

And David said, “The Lord who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine.” And Saul said to David, “Go, and the Lord be with you!” 1 Samuel 17:37

 

Be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore, take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, ... Ephesians 6:10-20

 

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. Proverbs 3:5-8

 

The Lord is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him. Psalm 28:7

 

Cast all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. Be sober minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him. Be firm in your faith . . . 1 Peter 5:7-10

 

Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

 

I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler. You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day. Psalm 91:1-4

 

For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ. 2 Corinthians 10:4-5

 

In all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. Romans 8:37

 

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore, we will not fear . . .Be still, and know that I am God. Psalm 46:1-2,10

End of Life Decisions


There comes a time in the lives of many of us when we have to make a difficult decision at the end of life - ours or the life of a loved one. On Monday, March 13, at 7 PM, the deacons will host a meeting with Chaplain Monte Haun as our guest speaker. Chaplain Haun was the pastor to older adults at Concordia Lutheran Church before accepting the call to serve as a chaplain at Laclede Groves Retirement Community. You are invited to join us. We will meet on the second floor, corner room. 

Mortgage Update


Great news! Members have been regularly dedicating extra principal payments to the mortgage, and as a result our current balance is $457,304. In the last 12 months, the principal of the church’s mortgage has been reduced by over $150,000. This is due to a combination of our regular mortgage payments and these extra principal payments. We have made so much progress on our scheduled monthly payment obligations that currently almost 70% of our monthly payment ($5,750) goes directly to the reduction of principal. Check out the kiosk in the church lobby for the latest updates.”

Finance Update

Next Sunday's Bible Readings

Exodus 17:1-7; Romans 5:1-8; John 4:5-26

Worship Leaders

This Sunday - 3/5

Lector: Stephanie Chapa

Communion: Mike Toney

Greeters: John & Miriam Lee

S/V: Ken Clark

Ushers: Tony Petzoldt, Becci Sasser, Judy George

Children's Message: Janet Leet

Next Sunday - 3/12

Lector: Greg Frimel

Communion: Derek Don

Greeters: Ken & Jeanne Clark

S/V: John Steele

Ushers: Terry Buchholz, Jack Hurley, Ron Froesel

Children's Message: Tim Cosby

The Word Within the Word
Online Calendar

Glendale Lutheran Church

Monday-Thursday 8:00 am-4:30 pm

(314) 966-3220

glendalelutheranchurch@gmail.com

Connect With Us:
Facebook  Twitter  Instagram