Pages

Thursday, May 28, 2020

Weekly Newsletter

Glimpses of Glendale
Glendale Lutheran Church Newsletter
May 28, 2020
I was looking over LaVerne Eifert’s church file, hoping to find a Bible text for her funeral. I found her husband Eugene’s service, along with Pastor Albers sermon from January 2002. LaVerne had chosen Romans 6, “Don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ were baptized into his death?” LaVerne assented to this passage. The words applied to Eugene and the certainly apply to Laverne. Because Christ is risen we will rise. LaVerne was baptized into Christ and with that comes the power over life and death. LaVerne and Eugene both are experiencing that power now.

Though the words from Romans 6 are appropriate, they aren’t the ones that make me think of LaVerne. As you all know, LaVerne was a delightful spit fire. She exuded laughter, playfulness, and joy. When I first arrived at Glendale three years ago, LaVerne was there every Sunday. She felt compelled to be there with God’s people, worshiping Jesus. I told people, if LaVerne can make it to worship, we all can. But then LaVerne missed a week and my alarm bells went off. Turned out she had a fall. Thankfully, her fellow members Glee and Paul were able to get her help. When I visited LaVerne in the hospital she said, “I’ll be back at church as soon as possible!” If anyone could do it, it was LaVerne.

But that was the beginning of her body failing her. She couldn’t do the things she wanted to do anymore. She had more falls, more hospitalizations and a surgery. Eventually she had to move to a new home, Manor Grove. She would still beam with amusement when I visited her but now she had a question for me, “Why am I still here?”

Remembering these exchanges led me to her funeral text, Philippians 1:18-26 "Yes, and I will rejoice, 19 for I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will turn out for my deliverance, 20 as it is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death. 21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 22 If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. 23 I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. 24 But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. 25 Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith, 26 so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because of my coming to you again."

I empathized with her dilemma. The years had stolen her child, her husband, her friends and now the functioning of her body. She wasn’t mad at God, it was more like a desperate curiosity. “God, what can I do when my body so limits me?” I would tell her that only God knows why she is still here. But I was very grateful to have her in my life. She made me smile every time. She would kid me about being young, which feels good when you are a middle aged guy. I would ask her questions about her earlier life and she was excited to share. I would hold her hands and pray with her for healing and faith. Then I would give her communion, the risen Lord given for her. At the end of every get together, She’d kiss me on the cheek and I’d tell her that we love her.

We all have to ask God, “Why am I here?” Paul realized in his letter to the Philippians that it is better to be away from here and with the resurrected Lord. The new heaven and the new earth will have no sin or death. There is no conflict or decay. Bodies work the way they were designed to work. Jesus is there in the flesh. Plus we get reunited with those who have passed. Who doesn’t want that? But Paul comes to the conclusion that God decides when it is time. Until then we have a calling to fulfill.

In her later years, LaVerne wrestled with her calling. But that is what real faith is all about: continually asking God, “What do you want me to do?” When LaVerne’s child was alive her calling was simple: take care of her every day. When Eugene was alive, part of her calling was to be the best wife she would be. When she was able to go to worship at Glendale Lutheran, she embraced being an encouraging member of the congregation. All of those responsibilities are for a season. Now is her time to enjoy all of the blessings.

We no longer have to wrestle with God’s plan for LaVerne. Instead we wrestle with our own? What does God call us to do with this life? Part of that calling is going to be mourning the loss of LaVerne. We miss her and want to see her here and now. I’m sure she misses you too. But follow her lead, her example and search for your God given purpose in life. I hope we all can fulfill it as delightfully as LaVerne did.
Daily Bible Reading
Proposed Budget
The proposed budget will be presented for a FIRST reading on June 7 with final approval at the following meeting on June 28. Both meetings will be held in the sanctuary at 10:30am.
Improved Sanctuary Lighting May Be Coming Soon
One of the items that has long been on our congregation’s to do list, prioritized in more than one long term plan, is to find a way to improve lighting in our sanctuary. The advent of LED technology will afford us a step in this direction. Updating and upgrading our current six hanging chandeliers will increase the available light by 50%. This is a positive affordable step toward an ultimate goal of providing on upgrade to spot lighting for worship leaders and will help show to what extent more flexible spot lighting would be desirable. Your church council has endorsed a way forward to implement this upgrade. We are seeking contributions, much as we had done for our welcoming courtyard construction, from all those members who would have a heart for this project. Your specified contributions will be underwritten by available bequest funds so with the endorsement of the voters we can move forward with installation this summer.  Look for further discussion of this project and its funding at our upcoming voters meeting.
Next Sunday's Bible Readings
Genesis 1:1—2:4a; Acts 2:14a, 22-36; Matthew 28:16-20
CCLS Employment Opportunities
CCLS is currently accepting applicants for multiple job opportunities at our school. Please see below for you or someone you know!

YEAR-ROUND (12 MONTHS)
Assistant Director of Early Childhood Education (25 hours per week)

ACADEMIC YEAR (10 MONTHS)
Assistant Teacher, Early Childhood (20-30 hours per week) 
Teacher's Aide, Elementary School (25 hours per week) 
School Nurse (20 hours per week) 
After-School Care (10-15 hours per week) 

Follow the links above to apply online, or email janderson@ccls-stlouis.org for more information.
The Word Within the Word