Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2020

Weekly Newsletter

Glimpses of Glendale
Glendale Lutheran Church Newsletter
July 23, 2020
Last Sunday during Bible Class, Jeff Wille came up to me looking emotional.  He handed me a letter and said, "read it." It was on Glendale Chrysler letterhead and began, "Rev. Scott, Covid-19 has caused financial hardships on many..." My first thought was that their business was suffering and they had lost money. For a moment I suspected they were going to ask us for relief in paying their monthly rent for using the back of our parking lot. I was of course open to helping them as a good neighbor. But that was not the reason for the letter. It was the opposite. 

It went on to say, "Covid-19 has caused financial hardships on many including our local churches. We at Glendale Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram have been extremely fortunate during these crazy times. Our customers continue to come and purchase vehicles and have them serviced. Thus our owner and President, Carlo Merlo III, requested a check of $25,000 be sent to your church as a donation and our way of saying 'Thank you' for continuing to be great business neighbors. Together we will get through this crazy time. Thank you, Jenni Belding, General Manager."

I was floored. The next day I went down to thank them in person. Carlo and Jenni greeted me and warmly received our gratitude. I told them that I wish we could invite their workers over for lunch like we did two years ago but Covid prevents that. They said, all that was unnecessary. I asked Tim Cosby to create a poster sized card for us to sign. He’s drawing a picture of the church with all of us waving and yelling “Thank you, Glendale Chrysler!” The council will talk about other ways of being a good neighbor to them as well as what to do with the money. It just goes to show that God’s blessings come from all sorts of directions. We’ve tried to bless all of our neighbors and now they’ve blessed us. Praise God.
Please wear a mask during worship services.
Daily Bible Reading
A Note from our New Choir Director
Friends, are you interested in music, even a little bit? This might be a good year for you to get involved. Because of COVID-19 safety measures, the choir program will need to look different than it ever has before. I’ve been putting together some thoughts about options and welcome your input. Please email or call me to let me know you’re interested in any of the options below if I haven’t already reached out to you. I’m hoping we’ll have enough interest that we can schedule "shifts" of rehearsals on Wednesday evenings so that we can maintain social distancing. We will wear masks whenever possible (see below). I’m planning for special music at least twice a month and weekly Wednesday evening rehearsals. However, if committing to weekly rehearsals for the whole year doesn’t work well for you, don’t let that keep you from contacting me. I can be flexible. I’m planning to start rehearsing in late August and start music in services in September.

  • Handbells (We can use anywhere from 4 to 10 people; if you can count to 4 and want to play, you’re welcome! We’ll wear masks the whole time, and we can use enough tables to be socially distanced.)

  • Solo singing, duet singing

  • Mini choir

  • If you’d rather wait and sing with the whole choir once it is safer to do so, please still take the time to contact me so that I have your information.

I’m looking forward to hearing from you! 

Jane Robinson
robinsonjane@me.com
314-602-7368
Next Sunday's Bible Readings
Isaiah 55:1-5; Romans 9:1-5; Matthew 14:13-21
Financial Update
Worship Leaders 7/26
Lector: Marcia Hempel
Communion: Tony Petzoldt
S/V: Andy Ortstadt
Bible Class S/V: Tony Petzoldt
Worship Leaders 8/2
Lector: Phyllis Phelps
Communion: Steve Phelps
S/V: Ken Clark
Bible Class S/V: Mike Murphy