Pages

Thursday, July 9, 2020

Weekly Newsletter

Glimpses of Glendale
Glendale Lutheran Church Newsletter
July 9, 2020
I’d like to thank Glendale Lutheran church for the unexpected and generous gift for my 25th anniversary in ministry. The monetary gift and the plane tickets will be used for our family to go to London next summer. You have supported me and my family wonderfully in our three years here. Your love for us has made this home.

That wasn’t the only gift I received. My precious wife, Ann, presented me with an album full of memories from our previous six churches. She contacted them all in January and asked them for letters of remembrance. I was an associate pastor at Alive in Christ in Columbia, Missouri, a vicar at First Lutheran in Manhattan Beach, CA, a seminary field worker at Resurrection in Sunset Hills, a Director of Christian Education at Lutheran Church of Our Savior in Santa Maria, CA, a religion teacher at Lutheran high of San Diego and a DCE at St. Paul’s in Pacific Beach, CA. The time goes by fast, but these letters made me stop and remember how God connected us to his people at every stop.

I had youth group kids who now have families of their own contact me. They don’t recall the Bible studies I taught but they appreciated how I treated them with patience, respect and humor. I heard from previous pastors who were instrumental in my journey. Even my college roommate sent a video. He came to faith during our year together. We haven’t seen each other since but he wanted me to know how much that year meant to him and his family. Ann even got lifelong friends to send their greetings. It’s almost like I got to read my eulogies without a funeral.

The most precious letters were from Ann, Grace and Faith. They wrote beautiful words of encouragement that every man should hear from his family. The overwhelming feeling I am left with is gratitude to God. I know there are pastors that have a rough time and I’ve even experienced a season of it myself in the past. But overall life in ministry has blessed me immensely. I’ve received so much more than I’ve given. I think you know I’m a normal guy with normal abilities. Yet God has used me to further his kingdom. It’s been a blast. Here’s to another twenty five years working for the Lord.
Daily Bible Reading
Two Major Projects Underway
As a result of member approvals at our recent voters’ meeting, we are able to actively move forward with two major projects.

One: We are evaluating new chandeliers for our sanctuary. These will replace the 40 year old design currently in place, take advantage of new lighting technology, return us to the original architectural design and dramatically improve the “brightness” in our worship space. (This is the first major step in upgrading all the aging and dated lighting fixtures that support and enhance our worship experience.) Bequest funds have been authorized to underwrite this effort but additional funds are being solicited to support the estimated $15,000 cost. Donations and/or memorials can be made by designating “Lighting” on your contribution.

Two: We have let a contract to do major maintenance on the large stained glass windows on the south wall of the sanctuary. Over the 50 plus years that these major installations have been in place caulking has deteriorated, some panes have developed cracks, and the glass itself has become quite dirty both inside and out. There is a suspicion that this deterioration is also the source of some water leaks during heavy weather. The exterior joints of the glass will be rejuvenated and again be waterproofed. The completed project will return the stained glass to its original brightness. We are hoping to get on the vendor’s schedule by this fall. Again, the voters have authorized bequest funds currently in hand to underwrite the $25,800 cost. However, members who have a heart to support this project can designate “Stained Glass” on your donation/memorial.
Next Sunday's Bible Readings
Isaiah 44:6-8; Romans 8:18-27; Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43
Financial Update
Worship Leaders 7/12
Lector: Tracey Ortstadt
Communion: Andy Ortstadt
S/V: Ken Clark
Bible Class S/V: Jerry Nicolaus
Worship Leaders 7/19
Lector: Jerry Nicolaus
Communion: Terry Buchholz
S/V: Mike Toney
Bible Class S/V: Mike Murphy