Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Worship Bulletin - Midweek Advent


Welcome to Glendale Lutheran!

Pastor Scott Jonas would love to talk to you. You can contact him via cell 805-345-6658 or email scottjonas314@gmail.com.
Midweek Advent Service
6:30pm
Organ Prelude

Lighting of Advent Candle

Opening Hymn – Lift Up Your Heads, Ye Mighty Gates (LSB 341)

Lift up your heads, ye mighty gates!
Behold, the King of glory waits.
The King of kings is drawing near;
The Savior of the world is here.
Life and salvation He doth bring;
Therefore rejoice and gladly sing.
To God the Father raise
Your joyful songs of praise.

A righteous Helper comes to thee;
His chariot is humility,
His kingly crown is holiness,
His scepter, pity in distress.
The end of all our woe He brings;
Therefore the earth is glad and sings.
To Christ the Savior raise
Your grateful hymns of praise.

Redeemer, come and open wide
My heart to Thee; here, Lord, abide!
O enter with Thy grace divine;
Thy face of mercy on me shine.
Thy Holy Spirit guide us on
Until our glorious goal is won.
Eternal praise and fame
We offer to Thy name.

Opening Sentences 2 Samuel 12:9, 24; Titus 3:3–5a; Mark 1:11
P:  Although Nathan condemned David, “You have struck down Uriah the Hittite with the sword and have taken his wife to be your wife,”
C:  she bore a son, and he called his name Solomon.
P:  Paul writes that although “we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient,
C:  when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, He saved us.”
P:  When John baptized Jesus, “A voice came from heaven, ‘You are My beloved Son;
C:  with You I am well pleased.’ ”

Psalm Psalm 71:1–12; antiphon: v. 1
P:  In You, O Lord, do I take refuge; let me never be put to shame!
     In Your righteousness deliver me and rescue me;
C:  incline Your ear to me, and save me!
P:  Be to me a rock of refuge, to which I may continually come;
C:  You have given the command to save me,
     for You are my rock and my fortress.
P:  Rescue me, O my God, from the hand of the wicked,
C:  from the grasp of the unjust and cruel man.
P:  For You, O Lord, are my hope,
C:  my trust, O Lord, from my youth.
P:  Upon You I have leaned from before my birth;
C:  You are He who took me from my mother’s womb.
P:  My praise is continually of You.
C:  I have been as a portent to many,
     but You are my strong refuge.
P:  My mouth is filled with Your praise,
C:  and with Your glory all the day.
P:  Do not cast me off in the time of old age;
C:  forsake me not when my strength is spent.
P:  For my enemies speak concerning me;
C:  those who watch for my life consult together
P:  and say, “God has forsaken him;
C:  pursue and seize him,
     for there is none to deliver him.”
P:  O God, be not far from me;
C:  O my God, make haste to help me!
     In You, O Lord, do I take refuge;
     let me never be put to shame!

First ReadingPsalm 42:1-11
As a deer pants for flowing streams,
  so pants my soul for you, O God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
  When shall I come and appear before God?
My tears have been my food day and night,
  while they say to me continually, “Where is your God?”
These things I remember, as I pour out my soul:
  how I would go with the throng
and lead them in procession to the house of God
  with glad shouts and songs of praise, a multitude keeping festival.
Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me?
  Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.
My soul is cast down within me; therefore I remember you
  from the land of Jordan and of Hermon, from Mount Mizar.
Deep calls to deep at the roar of your waterfalls;
  all your breakers and your waves have gone over me.
By day the Lord commands his steadfast love,
  and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.
I say to God, my rock: “Why have you forgotten me?
  Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?”
As with a deadly wound in my bones, my adversaries taunt me,
  while they say to me continually, “Where is your God?”
Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me?
  Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.

P:  O Lord, have mercy on us.
C:  Thanks be to God.

Second Reading Titus 3:3–7
For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another. But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

P:  O Lord, have mercy on us.
C:  Thanks be to God.

Third ReadingMark 1:4–11
John appeared, baptizing in the wilderness and proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. And all the country of Judea and all Jerusalem were going out to him and were being baptized by him in the river Jordan, confessing their sins. Now John was clothed with camel’s hair and wore a leather belt around his waist and ate locusts and wild honey. And he preached, saying, “After me comes he who is mightier than I, the strap of whose sandals I am not worthy to stoop down and untie. I have baptized you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”
In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. And when he came up out of the water, immediately he saw the heavens opening and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, “You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.”

P:  O Lord, have mercy on us.
C:  Thanks be to God.

Responsory Based on 2 Samuel 12:24; Titus 3:5; Mark 1:8
P:  She bore a son, Solomon.
C:  He saved us according to His own mercy.
P:  Not because of works done by us,
C:  He saved us according to His own mercy.
P:  He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.
C:  He saved us according to His own mercy.

Hymn – Blessed Assurance

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of his Spirit, washed in his blood. Refrain

Refrain:  This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long:
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.

Perfect submission, perfect delight,
Visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
Angels descending bring from above
Echoes of mercy, whispers of love. Refrain

Perfect submission, all is at rest;
I in my Savior am happy and blest,
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with his goodness, lost in his love. Refrain

Sermon
Offering
We are excited to announce a new option for electronic giving using your mobile device. Please scan the following QR code or visit https://tithe.ly/give?c=815174 to make a donation.
Offertory                                                                                                                                  
Collects
P:  Let us pray. Lord Jesus, guide and protect clergy and lay leaders of Your Church. Enable them to lift people’s hearts and minds to look beyond global pandemics, natural disasters, and political upheavals to see the eternal Kingdom, which You have graciously opened to all people who trust in You for life and health and peace. Bless those who till the soil, manage farms, transport supplies, and distribute food and clothing where they are needed. Son of David,
C:  hear our prayer.
P:  Almighty Lord, give wisdom and courage to those who lead governments, command armed forces, and maintain order in society. Give them hearts to seek peace so that warfare with neighbor states and civil strife within them give way to prosperity, health, and cooperation. Increase our faith to depend on Your eternal promises of the better country that awaits us by grace. Son of Abraham,
C:  hear our prayer.
P:  Jesus, Light of the world, open the hearts of all who are burdened by their scandals and other past sins. Surround them with faithful people to tell them about Your coming in human history to give Yourself for them. Protect and guide all law enforcement personnel, first responders, health care workers, and counselors. Help them balance justice, mercy, and compassionate care so that many may have their lives repaired and hope restored. Son of scandal,
C:  hear our prayer.
P:  Gracious Lord, cared for by Your adopted human father, Joseph, remember people like him, those who have been forgotten, whether dispossessed, incarcerated, or isolated for any reason. Remember not their sins and iniquities but give them a sense of Your abiding presence. Nurture in us all a love for Your will so that we obediently do whatever You ask. Son of Joseph,
C:  hear our prayer.
P:  Servant Savior, born in a stable to a lowly Virgin, remind us again that You turn the world’s ways upside down. Give strength to the weak, lift up the downtrodden, provide hope for the despairing, announce peace to the distraught, and proclaim eternal forgiveness to all burdened by their sin. Son of Mary,
C:  hear our prayer.

Collect for Today
P:  Lord Jesus, the people included in Your family tree dealt with scandalous sin within and around them, and yet from them You graciously entered human history.
C:  Help us to see Your grace at work in us, we who have been grafted into Your family tree by Baptism. Strengthen us to truly be Your forgiven and adopted brothers and sisters.
P:  Son of scandal,
C:  hear our prayer.

Collect from Sunday
P:  Lord Jesus Christ, we implore You to hear our prayers
C:  and to lighten the darkness of our hearts by Your gracious visitation;
P:  for You live and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.
C:  Amen.

Luther’s Evening Prayer
C:  I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have graciously kept me this day; and I pray that You would forgive me all my sins where I have done wrong, and graciously keep me this night. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen.

Lord's Prayer
C:  Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven; give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever. Amen.

Benedicamus
P:  Let us bless the Lord.
C:  Thanks be to God.

Benediction
P:  The almighty and merciful Lord, the Father, the + Son, and the Holy Spirit, bless you and keep you.
C:  Amen.

Closing Hymn – Prepare the Royal Highway (LSB 343)

Prepare the royal highway;
The King of kings is near!
Let ev’ry hill and valley
A level road appear!
Then greet the King of Glory
Foretold in sacred story: Refrain

Refrain:  Hosanna to the Lord,       
For He fulfills God’s Word!

God’s people, see Him coming:
Your own eternal king!
Palm branches strew before Him!
Spread garments! Shout and sing!
God’s promise will not fail you!
No more shall doubt assail you! Refrain

His is no earthly kingdom;
It comes from heav’n above.
His rule is peace and freedom
And justice, truth, and love.
So let your praise be sounding
For kindness so abounding: Refrain

Organ Postlude      
+ + +

WORSHIP LEADERS
Preacher/Liturgist – Pastor Scott Jonas
Organist – Jim Thielker
Acknowledgments
Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.