Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Worship Bulletin


Welcome to Glendale Lutheran!

Pastor Scott Jonas would love to talk to you. You can contact him via cell 805-345-6658 or email scottjonas314@gmail.com.
Midweek Lenten Worship
6:30pm
Prelude

Greeting and Welcome

Lighting of the Candles

Hymn of Invocation – Abide with Me (LSB 878)

Abide with me, fast falls the eventide.
The darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide.
When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, O abide with me.
 
Swift to its close ebbs out life’s little day;
Earth’s joys grow dim, its glories pass away;
Change and decay in all around I see;
O Thou who changest not, abide with me.
 
I fear no foe with Thee at hand to bless;
Ills have no weight and tears no bitterness.
Where is death’s sting? Where, grave, thy victory?
I triumph still if Thou abide with me!
 
Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes;
Shine through the gloom, and point me to the skies.
Heav’n’s morning breaks, and earth’s vain shadows flee;
In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.
 
Invocation
P:  In the name of the Father and of the Son + and of the Holy Spirit.
C:  Amen.
 
Opening Sentences                                                                                     
P:  O Lord, open my lips,
C:  and my mouth will declare Your praise.
P:  Make haste, O God, to deliver me;
C:  make haste to help me, O Lord.
Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit; as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen.
Praise to You, O Christ, Lamb of our salvation.
 
First Reading – Proverbs 6:16–19
There are six things that the Lord hates,
seven that are an abomination to him:
haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil,
a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.
 
P:  O Lord, have mercy on us.
C:  Thanks be to God.
 
Second Reading2 John 3–11
Grace, mercy, and peace will be with us, from God the Father and from Jesus Christ the Father’s Son, in truth and love.
I rejoiced greatly to find some of your children walking in the truth, just as we were commanded by the Father. And now I ask you, dear lady—not as though I were writing you a new commandment, but the one we have had from the beginning—that we love one another. And this is love, that we walk according to his commandments; this is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, so that you should walk in it. For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh. Such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist. Watch yourselves, so that you may not lose what we have worked for, but may win a full reward. Everyone who goes on ahead and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God. Whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house or give him any greeting, for whoever greets him takes part in his wicked works.
 
P:  O Lord, have mercy on us.
C:  Thanks be to God.
 
Third Reading – Mark 6:7–13
And he called the twelve and began to send them out two by two, and gave them authority over the unclean spirits. He charged them to take nothing for their journey except a staff—no bread, no bag, no money in their belts—but to wear sandals and not put on two tunics. And he said to them, “Whenever you enter a house, stay there until you depart from there. And if any place will not receive you and they will not listen to you, when you leave, shake off the dust that is on your feet as a testimony against them.” So they went out and proclaimed that people should repent. And they cast out many demons and anointed with oil many who were sick and healed them.
 
P:  O Lord, have mercy on us.
C:  Thanks be to God.
 
Responsory                                                                                       
P:  Deliver me, O Lord, my God, for You are the God of my salvation.
C:  Rescue me from my enemies, protect me from those who rise against me.
P:  In You, O Lord, do I put my trust, leave me not, O Lord, my God.
C:  Rescue me from my enemies, protect me from those who rise against me.
P:  Deliver me, O Lord, my God, for You are the God of my salvation.
C:  Rescue me from my enemies, protect me from those who rise against me.
 
Hymn – The Old Rugged Cross

On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
The emblem of suffering and shame;
And I love that old cross where the dearest and best
For a world of lost sinners was slain.  Refrain
 
Refrain:  So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,
Til my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it some day for a crown.
 
O that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
Has a wondrous attraction for me;
For the dear Lamb of God left His glory above
To bear it to dark Calvary. Refrain
 
In the old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
A wondrous beauty I see;
For ‘twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died
To pardon and sanctify me. Refrain
 
Sermon

Anointing with Oil
                                                                                                                                                                                       
Nicene Creed
C: I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.
 And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of His Father before all worlds, God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father, by whom all things were made; who for us and for our salvation came down from heaven  and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the virgin Mary and was made man; and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate. He suffered and was buried. And the third day He rose again according to the Scriptures and ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of the Father. And He will come again with glory to judge both the living and the dead, whose kingdom will have no end.
And I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son, who with the Father and the Son together is worshiped and glorified, who spoke by the prophets. And I believe in one holy Christian and apostolic Church, I acknowledge one Baptism for the remission of sins, and I look for the resurrection of the dead and the life + of the world to come. Amen.
Offering
Please scan the following QR code or visit https://tithe.ly/give?c=815174 to make a donation using your mobile device.
Offertory
 
Canticle
P:  Let my prayer rise before You as incense,
and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
C:  My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God, my Savior;
for He has regarded the lowliness of His handmaiden.
For behold, from this day all generations will call me blessed.
For the Mighty One has done great things to me, and holy is His name;
and His mercy is on those who fear Him from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with His arm; He has scattered the proud in the  imagination of their hearts.
He has cast down the mighty from their thrones and has exalted the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich He has sent empty away.
He has helped His servant Israel in remembrance of His mercy as He spoke to  our fathers, to Abraham and to his seed forever.
Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit;
as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen.
 
Lord’s Prayer
C: Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name, Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven; give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever. Amen.
 
Collect
P:  O Lord, hear my prayer.
C:  And let my cry come to You.
P:  Almighty and everlasting God, grant us by Your grace so to pass through this holy time of our Lord’s passion that we may obtain the forgiveness of our sins; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.
C:  Amen.
P:  Merciful and everlasting God, You did not spare Your only Son but delivered Him up for us all to bear our sins on the cross. Grant that our hearts may be so fixed with steadfast faith in Him that we fear not the power of sin, death, and the devil; through the same Jesus Christ, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.
C:  Amen.
P:  Lord Jesus Christ, You were betrayed by one of Your own disciples and handed over to death. Forgive us for the times we have betrayed You and deceived others for the sake of selfish gain, so that we might pick up our cross and follow You on the road to Calvary; for You live and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.
C:  Amen.
P:  O God, from whom come all holy desires, all good counsels, and all just works, give to us, Your servants, that peace which the world cannot give, that our hearts may be set to obey Your commandments and also that we, being defended from the fear of our enemies, may live in peace and quietness; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.
C:  Amen.

Benedicamus
P:  Let us bless the Lord
C:  Thanks be to God.
 
Benediction
P:  The grace of our Lord + Jesus Christ and the love of God and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
C:  Amen.
 
Hymn – God, Who Made the Earth and Heaven (LSB 877)

God, who made the earth and heaven, darkness and light:
You the day for work have given, for rest the night.
May Your angel guards defend us,
Slumber sweet Your mercy send us,
Holy dreams and hopes attend us all through the night.
 
And when morn again shall call us to run life’s way,
May we still, whate’er befall us, Your will obey.
From the pow’r of evil hide us,
in the narrow pathway guide us,
Never be Your smile denied us all through the day.
 
Guard us waking, guard us sleeping, and when we die,
May we in Your mighty keeping all peaceful lie.
When the last dread call shall wake us,
Then, O Lord, do not forsake us,
But to reign in glory take us with You on high.
 
Postlude
 
+ WORSHIP LEADERS +
Preacher/Liturgist – Pastor Scott Jonas
Organist – Jim Thielker
Sound/Video – Jerry Nicolaus
Acknowledgments
Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.