Pages

Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Midweek Lenten Worship


Welcome to Glendale Lutheran!


Midweek Lenten Worship

March 22, 2023

6:30pm

Prelude


Greeting and Welcome


Lighting of the Candles


Hymn of Invocation – Open Now Thy Gates of Beauty (LSB 901)


Open now thy gates of beauty;

Zion, let me enter there,

Where my soul in joyful duty

Waits for Him who answers prayer.

Oh, how blessèd is this place,

Filled with solace, light, and grace!


Gracious God, I come before Thee;

Come Thou also unto me.

Where we find Thee and adore Thee,

There a heav’n on earth must be.

To my heart, O enter Thou;

Let it be Thy temple now!


Here Thy praise is gladly chanted;

Here Thy seed is duly sown.

Let my soul, where it is planted,

Bring forth precious sheaves alone,

So that all I hear may be

Fruitful unto life in me.


Thou my faith increase and quicken;

Let me keep Thy gift divine,

Howsoe’er temptations thicken;

May Thy Word still o’er me shine

As my guiding star through life,

As my comfort in all strife.


Speak, O God, and I will hear Thee;

Let Thy will be done indeed.

May I undisturbed draw near Thee

While Thou dost Thy people feed.

Here of life the fountain flows;

Here is balm for all our woes.


Opening SentencesPsalm 51:15; 70:1

P: O Lord, open my lips,

C: and my mouth will declare Your praise.

P: Make haste, O God, to deliver me;

C: make haste to help me, O Lord. Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit; as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen. Praise to You, O Christ, Lamb of our salvation.


Collect of the Day

P: Let us pray. Almighty God, You have given us blessing upon blessing, and daily we are witness to Your generosity and grace. Keep us from pride and arrogance lest we presume upon Your goodness and believe that we merit what You have supplied to us in mercy, especially the gift of Your Son, Jesus Christ, whose death in our place and whose resurrection from the dead have accomplished our salvation; through Jesus Christ, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.

C: Amen. 


Apostles' Creed

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth.


And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried. He descended into hell. The third day He rose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty. From thence He will come to judge the living and the dead.


I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Christian Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life + everlasting. Amen.


First Reading - 2 Chronicles 26:1–5, 15–21

And all the people of Judah took Uzziah, who was sixteen years old, and made him king instead of his father Amaziah. He built Eloth and restored it to Judah, after the king slept with his fathers. Uzziah was sixteen years old when he began to reign, and he reigned fifty-two years in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Jecoliah of Jerusalem. And he did what was right in the eyes of the LORD, according to all that his father Amaziah had done. He set himself to seek God in the days of Zechariah, who instructed him in the fear of God, and as long as he sought the LORD, God made him prosper.


In Jerusalem he made engines, invented by skillful men, to be on the towers and the corners, to shoot arrows and great stones. And his fame spread far, for he was marvelously helped, till he was strong.

But when he was strong, he grew proud, to his destruction. For he was unfaithful to the LORD his God and entered the temple of the LORD to burn incense on the altar of incense. But Azariah the priest went in after him, with eighty priests of the LORD who were men of valor, and they withstood King Uzziah and said to him, “It is not for you, Uzziah, to burn incense to the LORD, but for the priests the sons of Aaron, who are consecrated to burn incense. Go out of the sanctuary, for you have done wrong, and it will bring you no honor from the LORD God.” Then Uzziah was angry. Now he had a censer in his hand to burn incense, and when he became angry with the priests, leprosy broke out on his forehead in the presence of the priests in the house of the LORD, by the altar of incense. And Azariah the chief priest and all the priests looked at him, and behold, he was leprous in his forehead! And they rushed him out quickly, and he himself hurried to go out, because the LORD had struck him. And King Uzziah was a leper to the day of his death, and being a leper lived in a separate house, for he was excluded from the house of the LORD. And Jotham his son was over the king’s household, governing the people of the land.


P: This is the Word of the Lord.

C: Thanks be to God.


Second ReadingEphesians 5:8–14

…for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true), and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord. Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them. For it is shameful even to speak of the things that they do in secret. But when anything is exposed by the light, it becomes visible, for anything that becomes visible is light. Therefore it says, “Awake, O sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.”


P: This is the Word of the Lord.

C: Thanks be to God.


Gospel Matthew 23:37-39

“O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not! See, your house is left to you desolate. For I tell you, you will not see me again, until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.’”


P: This is the Gospel of the Lord.

C: Praise to You, O Christ.


Hymn – Great Is Thy Faithfulness (LSB 809)


Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;

There is no shadow of turning with Thee.

Thou changest not: Thy compassions, they fail not;

As Thou hast been, Thou forever wilt be. Refrain


Refrain: Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness!

  Morning by morning new mercies I see;

All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;

  Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!


Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,

Sun, moon, and stars in their courses above

Join with all nature in manifold witness

To Thy great faithfulness, mercy, and love. Refrain


Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,

Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;

Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,

Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside! Refrain


Sermon


Hymn – I Lay My Sins on Jesus (LSB 606)


I lay my sins on Jesus,

The spotless Lamb of God;

He bears them all and frees us

From the accursèd load.

I bring my guilt to Jesus

To wash my crimson stains

Clean in His blood most precious

Till not a spot remains.


I lay my wants on Jesus;

All fullness dwells in Him;

He heals all my diseases;

My soul He does redeem.

I lay my griefs on Jesus,

My burdens and my cares;

He from them all releases;

He all my sorrows shares.


I rest my soul on Jesus,

This weary soul of mine;

His right hand me embraces;

I on His breast recline.

I love the name of Jesus,

Immanuel, Christ, the Lord;

Like fragrance on the breezes

His name abroad is poured.


Versicles 

P: Hear my prayer, O Lord;

C: let my cry come to You.

P: In the day of my trouble I call upon You,

C: for You answer me.

P: Hide Your face from my sins,

C: and blot out all my iniquities.

P: Create in me a clean heart, O God,

C: and renew a right spirit within me.

P: Cast me not away from Your presence,

C: and take not Your Holy Spirit from me.

P: Restore to me the joy of Your salvation,

C: and uphold me with a willing spirit.

P: Because Your steadfast love is better than life,

C: my lips will praise You.

P: For You have been my help,

C: and in the shadow of Your wings I will sing for joy.

P: Teach me Your way, O Lord, that I may walk in Your truth;

C: unite my heart to fear Your name.

P: I give thanks to You, O Lord my God, with my whole heart,

C: and I will glorify Your name forever.

P: May all who seek You rejoice and be glad in You.

C: May those who love Your salvation say evermore, “God is great!”

P: Save Your people and bless Your heritage!

C: Be their shepherd and carry them forever.

P: Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer;

C: listen to my plea for grace.


Prayers 

P: Let us pray. Almighty God, our heavenly Father, Your mercies are new every morning; and though we deserve only punishment, You receive us as Your children and provide for all our needs of body and soul. Grant that we may heartily acknowledge Your merciful goodness, give thanks for all Your benefits, and serve You in willing obedience; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.

C: Amen.

P: Holy Lord, pride led us to rebel against You and choose our own way instead of Your gracious path. Keep us from hubris and pride, lest in thinking too highly of ourselves, we turn away from Your mercy again. Instill within us the humble heart of faith that trusts in Your Word and bear within us the obedience of faith that delights to follow where You have led, so that we may be found blameless and holy when Christ comes again in His glory to bring all things to their perfect consummation; through Jesus Christ, our Lord.

C: Amen.

P: Lord God, You are the strength of the weak, the consolation of those who suffer, the peace of those troubled, and the hope of those in the hour of death. Deliver, we pray You, all whom we name before You that, according to Your will, their sickness may be turned to health, their sorry into joy, and their anxious hearts may rest in peace, through Jesus Christ, our Lord.

C: Amen.


I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have graciously kept me this day; and I pray that You would forgive me all my sins where I have done wrong, and graciously keep me this night. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen.


Benedicamus

P: Let us bless the Lord

C: Thanks be to God.


Blessing

P: The Lord bless us, defend us from all evil, and bring us to everlasting life.

C: Amen.


Hymn – Let Us Ever Walk with Jesus (LSB 685)


Let us ever walk with Jesus,

Follow His example pure,

Through a world that would deceive us

And to sin our spirits lure.

Onward in His footsteps treading,

Pilgrims here, our home above,

Full of faith and hope and love,

Let us do the Father’s bidding.

Faithful Lord, with me abide;

I shall follow where You guide.


Let us suffer here with Jesus

And with patience bear our cross.

Joy will follow all our sadness;

Where He is, there is no loss.

Though today we sow no laughter,

We shall reap celestial joy;

All discomforts that annoy

Shall give way to mirth hereafter.

Jesus, here I share Your woe;

Help me there Your joy to know.


Let us gladly die with Jesus.

Since by death He conquered death,

He will free us from destruction,

Give to us immortal breath.

Let us mortify all passion

That would lead us into sin;

And the grave that shuts us in

Shall but prove the gate to heaven.

Jesus, here with You I die,

There to live with You on high.


Let us also live with Jesus.

He has risen from the dead

That to life we may awaken.

Jesus, You are now our head.

We are Your own living members;

Where You live, there we shall be

In Your presence constantly,

Living there with You forever.

Jesus, let me faithful be,

Life eternal grant to me.


Postlude 


+ WORSHIP LEADERS +

Liturgist – Pastor Scott Jonas

Preacher – Seminarian Jonathan Chapa

Pianist – Janet Leet

Sound/Video – Tony Petzoldt

Acknowledgments
Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.