Pages

Thursday, December 14, 2023

Worship Bulletin


Welcome to Glendale Lutheran!


The Third Sunday in Advent

December 17, 2023

Sunday 9:15am

Greeting and Welcome


Prelude O Come, O Come Emmanuel


Lighting of the Candles


Hymn of Invocation – Light One Candle (AGPS 163)


Light one candle for hope,

One bright candle for hope,

He brings hope to ev’ry heart,

He comes! He comes!


Light one candle for peace,

One bright candle for peace,

He brings peace to ev’ry heart,

He comes! He comes!


Light one candle for joy,

One bright candle for joy,

Ev’ry nation will find salvation

In Bethl’em’s baby boy.


Light one candle for love,

One bright candle for love,

He brings love to ev’ry heart,

He comes! He comes!

He brings love to ev’ry heart,

He comes! He comes!


+ Preparation +


Invocation

P: In the name of the Father and of the + Son and of the Holy Spirit

C: Amen.


Opening SentencesPsalm 40:1-3

P: I waited patiently for the LORD;

C: He inclined to me and heard my cry.

P: He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog,

C: and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure.

P: He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God.

C: Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the LORD.


Confession and Absolution1 Thessalonians 5:23-24

P: That we may rejoice in the great things our forgiving God does for us, let us together confess our sins before Him.

C: Most merciful God, we confess that we have sinned against You in thought, word, and deed, by what we do and by what we fail to do. Instead of looking to Jesus and following Him in faith, we have gone astray by disobeying Your Word. Instead of giving bold witness to You, we have kept silent and withheld Your grace from others. For the sake of our Savior and King, have mercy on us. Forgive us and restore us. Guide us and renew us. Help us to walk in Your ways to the glory of Your holy name. Amen.

P: “Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; He will surely do it.” Our God hears our prayers and answers them, removing our sins and declaring us blameless in His sight through faith in Jesus Christ. As a called and ordained servant of Christ, I therefore forgive you all your sins in the name of the Father and of the + Son and of the Holy Spirit.

C: Amen.


+ Word +


Introit 

P: Show us Your steadfast love, O LORD,

C: and grant us Your salvation.

P: Let me hear what God the LORD will speak,

C: for He will speak peace to His people, to His saints; but let them not turn back to folly.

P: Surely His salvation is near to those who fear Him,

C: that glory may dwell in our land.

P: Yes, the LORD will give what is good,

C: and our land will yield its increase.

P: Righteousness will go before Him

C: and make His footsteps a way.


All: Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit; 

as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen


P: Show us Your steadfast love, O LORD,

C: and grant us Your salvation.


Salutation 

P: The Lord be with you. 

C: And also with you.


Prayer of the Day 

P: Let us pray. Lord Jesus Christ, we implore You to hear our prayers.

C: Embolden our witness to the true light that overcomes our darkness;

P: for You live and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.

C: Amen.


First ReadingIsaiah 61:1–4, 8–11

The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, because the LORD has anointed me to bring good news to the poor; He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound; to proclaim the year of the LORD’s favor, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn; to grant to those who mourn in Zion—to give them a beautiful headdress instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, the garment of praise instead of a faint spirit; that they may be called oaks of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he may be glorified. They shall build up the ancient ruins; they shall raise up the former devastations; they shall repair the ruined cities, the devastations of many generations. For I the LORD love justice; I hate robbery and wrong; I will faithfully give them their recompense, and I will make an everlasting covenant with them. Their offspring shall be known among the nations, and their descendants in the midst of the peoples; all who see them shall acknowledge them, that they are an offspring the LORD has blessed. I will greatly rejoice in the LORD; my soul shall exult in my God, for he has clothed me with the garments of salvation; he has covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself like a priest with a beautiful headdress, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels. For as the earth brings forth its sprouts, and as a garden causes what is sown in it to sprout up, so the Lord GOD will cause righteousness and praise to sprout up before all the nations.


P: This is the Word of the Lord.

C: Thanks be to God.


Second Reading 2 Corinthians 12:1–10

I must go on boasting. Though there is nothing to be gained by it, I will go on to visions and revelations of the Lord. I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows. And I know that this man was caught up into paradise—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows—and he heard things that cannot be told, which man may not utter. On behalf of this man I will boast, but on my own behalf I will not boast, except of my weaknesses. Though if I should wish to boast, I would not be a fool, for I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain from it, so that no one may think more of me than he sees in me or hears from me. So to keep me from being too elated by the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from being too elated. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.


P: This is the Word of the Lord.

C: Thanks be to God.


Holy Gospel John 1:6–8, 19–28

P: The Holy Gospel according to St. John, the first chapter.

C: Glory to You, O Lord.


There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. He came as a witness, to bear witness about the light, that all might believe through him. He was not the light, but came to bear witness about the light….

And this is the testimony of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, “Who are you?” He confessed, and did not deny, but confessed, “I am not the Christ.” And they asked him, “What then? Are you Elijah?” He said, “I am not.” “Are you the Prophet?” And he answered, “No.” So they said to him, “Who are you? We need to give an answer to those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?” He said, “I am the voice of one crying out in the wilderness, ‘Make straight the way of the Lord,’ as the prophet Isaiah said.”

(Now they had been sent from the Pharisees.) They asked him, “Then why are you baptizing, if you are neither the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?” John answered them, “I baptize with water, but among you stands one you do not know, even he who comes after me, the strap of whose sandal I am not worthy to untie.” These things took place in Bethany across the Jordan, where John was baptizing.


P: This is the Gospel of the Lord.

C: Praise to You, O Christ.


Children’s Hymn – The King of Glory (AGPS 227)


Refrain: The King of Glory comes, 

The nation rejoices;

Open the gates before Him, 

Lift up your voices.


Who is the King of Glory;

How shall we call Him?

He is Emmanuel, 

The promised of ages. Refrain


Children’s Sermon – Tim Cosby


Hymn of the Day – God Loves Me Dearly (LSB 392)


God loves me dearly, grants me salvation,

God loves me dearly, Loves even me. Refrain


Refrain: Therefore I’ll say again: God loves me dearly,

God loves me dearly, loves even me.

I was in slav’ry, sin, death, and darkness;

God’s love was working to make me free. Refrain


He sent forth Jesus, my dear Redeemer,

He sent forth Jesus and set me free. Refrain


Now I will praise You, O Love Eternal;

Now I will praise You all my life long. Refrain


Sermon 


Apostles' Creed

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth.


And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried. He descended into hell. The third day He rose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty. From thence He will come to judge the living and the dead.


I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Christian Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life + everlasting. Amen.


Prayers


+ Celebrating birthdays this week: 18 – Elena Grossenheider; 21 – Sherman Moore


Special Celebrations and Needs:


+ Church family members: Sharon Gaal, anticipating surgery; Sue DeFosset, with Covid; Daniel DeFosset, with Covid; Cathie Albers, soon to be undergoing knee surgery; Layton Wille, recovering from back surgery; Steve Dixson, recovering at home; Sandy Barbercheck, recovering from knee replacement surgery; Hank Schlichter, diagnosed with inoperable stomach cancer; Ken Kight, in the hospital


+ Friends of our congregation: Seminarian Ryan Barnett, healing from leg surgery; Gary Schouten, cousin of Valerie Wehmueller, fighting kidney cancer; Don, friend of the Wehmueller family, upon a diagnosis of liver cancer; Rebecca Guion, daughter-in-law of Mary Guion, in the hospital


+ Those who are homebound or in nursing facilities: Twylah Atwood, Mary Aufderheide, Jules Bush, Frank & Sharon Gaal, Mary Guion, Jerry & Jane Keathley, Jim & Judy Thielker, Shirley Williams

Offering
Please scan the following QR code or visit https://tithe.ly/give?c=815174 to make a donation using your mobile device.

OffertoryJoy Has Dawned


(lyrics provided for reflection)


Gloria in excelsis Deo! Gloria in excelsis Deo!

Joy has dawned upon the world, promised from creation;

God’s salvation now unfurled, hope for ev’ry nation.

Not with fanfare from above, not with scenes of glory,

But a humble gift of love: Jesus born of Mary.

Sounds of wonder fill the sky with the songs of angels

As the mighty Prince of Life shelters in a stable.

Hands that set each star in place, shaped the earth in darkness,

Cling now to a mother’s breast, vuln’rable and helpless.

Come to Bethlehem, and see Him whose birth the angels sing;

Come adore on bended knee Christ the Lord, the newborn king.

Gloria in excelsis Deo! Gloria in excelsis Deo!

Shepherds bow before the Lamb, gazing at the glory;

Gifts of men from distant lands prophesy the story.

Gloria in excelsis Deo! Gloria in excelsis Deo!


+ Sacrament +


Preface

P: The Lord be with you.

C: And also with you.

P: Lift up your hearts. 

C: We lift them to the Lord.

P: Let us give thanks to the Lord our God.

C: It is right to give Him thanks and praise.

P: It is truly good, right, and salutary that we should at all times and in all places give thanks to You, holy Lord, almighty Father, everlasting God, through Jesus Christ, our Lord, whose way John the Baptist prepared, proclaiming Him the promised Messiah, the very Lamb of God who takes away our sin, giving witness to the light of the world, whose coming scatters the darkness of death. Therefore with angels and archangels and with all the company of heaven we laud and magnify Your glorious name, evermore praising You and saying:


Sanctus

Holy, holy, holy Lord, God of pow'r and might:

Heaven and earth are full of Your glory.

Hosanna, Hosanna. Hosanna in the highest.

Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord.

Hosanna in the highest.

 

Prayer of Thanksgiving

P: Blessed are You, O Lord our God, King of all creation, for You have had mercy on us and have given Your only-begotten Son that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.

C: In Your boundless mercy You sent Your faithful witness, John the Baptist, to prepare the way for Jesus and His coming kingdom.

P: With thankful hearts we pray, “Come, Lord Jesus,” confident that in His body and blood, given us to eat and drink, we receive the forgiveness of sins and so proclaim His death until He comes again in glory. Hear us as we pray in His name and as He has taught us:


Lord’s Prayer

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name, Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven; give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever. Amen.


The Words of Our Lord

P: Our Lord Jesus Christ, on the night when He was betrayed, took bread, and when He had given thanks, He broke it and gave it to the disciples and said: “Take, eat; this is My + body, which is given for you. This do in remembrance of Me.”  In the same way also He took the cup after supper, and when He had given thanks, He gave it to them, saying: “Drink of it, all of you; this cup is the new testament in My + blood, which is shed for you for the forgiveness of sins. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”


Pax Domini 

P: The peace of the Lord be with you always.

C: Amen.


Distribution 


Distribution Hymn – Beautiful Savior (LSB 537)


Beautiful Savior, King of creation,

Son of God and Son of Man!

Truly I’d love Thee, truly I’d serve Thee,

Light of my soul, my joy, my crown.


Fair are the meadows, fair are the woodlands,

Robed in flow’rs of blooming spring;

Jesus is fairer, Jesus is purer,

He makes our sorr’wing spirit sing.


Fair is the sunshine, fair is the moonlight,

Bright the sparkling stars on high;

Jesus shines brighter, Jesus shines purer

Than all the angels in the sky.


Beautiful Savior, Lord of the nations,

Son of God and Son of Man!

Glory and honor, praise, adoration

Now and forevermore be Thine!


Blessing


Post-Communion Thanksgiving

P: Let us pray. Gracious Lord, Your Word says to us: “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances;

C: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”

P: We joyfully give You thanks for the blessings offered to us in the body and blood of our Savior.

C: May we go forth to witness to others of the wonders He has done!

P: We pray in the name of our coming King, Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.

C: Amen.


Benediction 

P: The Lord bless you and keep you. The Lord make His face shine on you and be gracious to you. The Lord look upon you with favor and + give you peace.

C: Amen.


Closing Hymn – I Love to Tell the Story (AGPS 128)


I love to tell the story of unseen things above,

Of Jesus and His glory, of Jesus and His love.

I love to tell the story, because I know it’s true;

It satisfies my longings as nothing else would do. Refrain


Refrain: I love to tell the story; ‘twill be my theme in glory

To tell the old, old story of Jesus and His love.


I love to tell the story, ‘tis pleasant to repeat

What seems, each time I tell it, more wonderfully sweet.

I love to tell the story, for some have never heard

The message of salvation from God’s own holy Word. Refrain


I love to tell the story, for those who know it best

Seem hungering and thirsting to hear it like the rest.

And when in scenes of glory I sing the new, new song,

‘Twill be the old, old story that I have loved so long. Refrain


Postlude 


+ WORSHIP LEADERS +

Preacher/Celebrant/Liturgist – Pastor Scott

Organist/Pianist – Seth Carruthers

Lector – Julie Atwood-Wise

Communion – Steve Phelps and Seminary Student

Sound/Video – John Steele

Ushers – Judy George, Lisa Grossenheider, Tony Petzoldt, Jack Hurley

Greeters – Ken & Jeanne Clark

Acknowledgments
Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.