Pages

Thursday, January 11, 2024

Weekly Newsletter

Glimpses of Glendale
Glendale Lutheran Church Newsletter


January 11, 2024

An Evening with Jesus - article by Joel Hempel

 

What if Jesus were having a dinner party, and you were invited? Like any other party, you don’t want to go empty-handed. So, what would you bring? What gift would be special enough for Jesus?

 

When I asked Marcia that question, she responded:

 

I wouldn’t go.

 

What? What do you mean you wouldn’t go?

 

Well, I guess I would go, but I would put on an apron and serve Jesus.  

 

I loved that answer. But I continued to struggle with deciding what gift would be appropriate for the Creator of the universe, the Savior of humanity.

 

As we know, the Wise Men brought gold, frankincense, and myrrh. I’m sure the holy family could use or sell these items as needed. The poor Little Drummer Boy had no tangible gift to bring. He offered a melody on his drum.

 

So, what would you bring to the King of Kings?

 

I thought long and hard about this question. What would Joel Hempel bring to Jesus? In the first place, I’d be so humbled that I even received an invitation. I could then imagine getting stressed out trying to find something of great value. But I couldn’t think of anything worthy of the Son of God. There’s nothing I could buy for Jesus. It’s not only that he has it all; he doesn’t need anything. Or does he?

 

What about:

 

My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit, a broken and contrite heart. Psalm 51:17

 

What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8

 

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. Love your neighbor as yourself. Mark 12:30-32

 

Come to me, all who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28 (NLT). So, bring my burdens to Jesus’ party? That doesn’t seem appropriate.

 

These are all meaningful passages from Scripture and worthy of our reflection. But is this the best we can do? What in the world can we bring to Jesus? Then I realized there is nothing from this world we could give him. The only thing of value we have to bring to our Lord is from out of this world.

 

It’s His love! His love for us.

 

I cannot imagine anything more pleasing to Jesus than to show up at his door with his love in our hearts.

 

Father . . . I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them. John 17:1, 26  

Christmas De-decorating

 

Please join us Saturday, January 13, starting at 8:00am, to take down all the Christmas decorations throughout the building. Thank you!

Worship Service Assistants

 

We are in need of more people to serve as worship assistants, especially in the roles of usher, greeter, and soundboard. If you are interested in serving in any of these roles, contact Ken Clark or Mike Toney.

Choir Rehearsals

 

Choir begins again on January 16. Join us!

Altar Flowers

 

2024 Altar Flowers dates are wide open! Please sign up here or call/email Michelle in the church office to sign up!

Financial Update

Next Sunday's Bible Readings

Jonah 3:1-5, 10; 1 Corinthians 7:29-35; Mark 1:14-20

Worship Leaders

This Sunday - 1/14

Lector: Julie Atwood-Wise

Communion: Mike Toney and Seminary Student

Greeters: Ken & Jeanne Clark

S/V: Tony Petzoldt

Ushers: Ron Froesel, Gerry Lucas, Rodger Lubben, Terry Buchholz

Children's Message: Janet Leet

Next Sunday - 1/21

Lector: Beth Nicolaus

Communion: John Steele and Seminary Student

Greeters: Bob & Debbie Jacobson

S/V: Paul Barbercheck

Ushers: Ken Clark, Steve Phelps, Becci Sasser, Judy George

Children's Message: Tim Cosby

The Word Within the Word
Online Calendar

Glendale Lutheran Church

Monday-Thursday 8:00 am-4:30 pm

(314) 966-3220

glendalelutheranchurch@gmail.com

Connect With Us:
Facebook  Twitter  Instagram