Pages

Thursday, February 15, 2024

Weekly Newsletter

Glimpses of Glendale
Glendale Lutheran Church Newsletter


February 15, 2024

Give It to God - article by Joel Hempel

                                       

My friend, Dr. Ed, said at the end of one of his daily devotions, “Give it to God.” I agree! Scripture says to do it. God promises to take it. But how is it possible?

 

The “it” I am talking about is the stuff that keeps us awake at night: Sins of the past. Current struggles. Forthcoming deadlines. Painful losses. Illnesses that aren’t going away. Family challenges. Relationships that are strained. That is, worries and anxiety!

 

Give it to God?

 

I’d like to!

 

In a YouTube video by Max Lucado entitled Anxious for Nothing, Lucado states, The presence of anxiety is unavoidable, but the prison of anxiety is optional. Interestingly, nowhere in Scripture does God tell us he will take our anxiety and worries from us. Instead, he says things like: Let not your heart be troubled, believe in God, believe also in me (John 14:1). Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall (Psalm 55:22).

 

After the multiple acts of grace that usher us into a saving relationship with God through Jesus Christ, the Christian faith is all about trusting God and acting on faith. God will not do for us what he has equipped us to do for ourselves with the help of the Holy Spirit.

 

Lucado is right. Anxiety is not an option. It infects all of us with its sickening symptoms at different times. But we don’t have to be imprisoned by it. We don’t have to feel helpless and enslaved by it. We can trust God to provide all that we need to break out of its prison.

 

Paul writes in Philippians 4:6; The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. That passage – is the key – in the hand of trust – that opens the door to peace of mind.

 

These words of grace are not empty platitudes to appease us. God offers them with the power and promise of his presence: The Lord is at hand! When burdened by worry and anxiety, God invites us to trust him with our prayers, needs, and all the passion we feel. Trust him with our focus not on what is upsetting us but on the promised results. That is, pray with the expectation of receiving God’s peace, which passes all understanding (verse 7).

 

You say trusting God is a challenge for you. Like saving faith, trust is a gift from God’s grace. He wants us to have it and grow in it. Ask for it. Seek it. Claim it. Practice it – knowing that our Lord is at hand!

 

Below (at the end of this newsletter) is a list of promises from God’s Word, accompanied by the power of the Holy Spirit. You are invited to keep close to you the ones that are most needed in the face of worry and anxiety.

Sound System Contributions

 

As Pastor Scott noted during announcements, the Leadership Council has approved a new digital sound system to replace our aging analog system. The expectation is the new system will be installed later this Spring and the total cost will be around $17,000. If you feel called to contribute toward improving our worship experience, please let one of the Elders or someone on the Leadership Council know. Alternatively, you can earmark your contribution to go toward the “Sound System” with your offering. Thanks!

Birthday Bags, Year 9

 

This is the 9th year Glendale Lutheran Church has participated in creating special gift bags for Operation Food Search children who would otherwise not have birthday surprises. If you can fill a bag or two, or give money so birthday bags can be filled, you will become anonymous heroes and heroines of little children.


Fliers are on the table in the lobby (and also pictured below). Everything you need to know is on the flyer. But if you have questions, please contact any of the following: Marcia Hempel, Beth Nicholas, Cathy Albers, or Susan Loscuito.


Please deliver your completed bags to church by Sunday, March 10th.

Thank you and God bless you.

Finance Update

Next Sunday's Bible Readings

Genesis 17:1-7, 15-16; Romans 5:1-11; Mark 8:27-38

Worship Leaders

This Sunday - 2/18

Lector: Greg Frimel

Communion: Steve Phelps and Seminary Student

Greeters: Steve & Phyllis Phelps

S/V: Paul Barbercheck

Ushers: Becci Sasser, John Steele, Ron Froesel, Judy George

Children's Message: Pastor Scott

Next Sunday - 2/25

Lector: Beth Nicolaus

Communion: John Steele and Seminary Student

Greeters: Jack & Norma Bentzinger

S/V: Jerry Nicolaus

Ushers: Lisa Grossenheider, Ken Clark, Jack Hurley, Mike Toney

Children's Message: Tim Cosby

The Word Within the Word

Scripture Verses to Hold Close in Times of Worry and Anxiety


The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” Deuteronomy 31:8

 

Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

 

God says, “Be still, and know that I am God.” . . . The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Psalm 46:10-11

 

I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday. If you say, “The LORD is my refuge,” and you make the Most High your dwelling, no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. Psalm 91:2, 4-5, 9-12

 

Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. For I am the LORD your God who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, “Do not fear; I will help you.” Isaiah 41:10,13

 

This is what the LORD says— he who created you, Jacob, he who formed you, Israel: “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. Isaiah 43:1

 

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

_____________________________ 

 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Matthew 11:28-29


“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God ; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. John 14:1-3

 

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27

 

In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. John 16:33

 

We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

 

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

 

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Philippians 4:8

 

We say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?” Hebrews 13:6

 

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. James 1:2-3

 

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7

 

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

Online Calendar

Glendale Lutheran Church

Monday-Thursday 8:00 am-4:30 pm

(314) 966-3220

glendalelutheranchurch@gmail.com

Connect With Us:
Facebook  Twitter  Instagram