Pages

Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Worship Bulletin - Midweek 2/21


Welcome to Glendale Lutheran!


Midweek Lenten Worship

February 21, 2024

6:30pm

Prelude 


Greeting and Welcome


Lighting of the Candles


Hymn of Invocation – When I Survey the Wondrous Cross (LSB 425)


When I survey the wondrous cross

On which the Prince of Glory died,

My richest gain I count but loss

And pour contempt on all my pride.


Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast

Save in the death of Christ, my God;

All the vain things that charm me most,

I sacrifice them to His blood.


See, from His head, His hands, His feet

Sorrow and love flow mingled down!

Did e’er such love and sorrow meet

Or thorns compose so rich a crown?


Were the whole realm of nature mine,

That were a tribute far too small;

Love so amazing, so divine,

Demands my soul, my life, my all!


Opening SentencesPsalm 118:24; 113:3; Joel 2:13; Matthew 16:24; Isaiah 53:5

P: This is the day which the Lord has made;

C: let us rejoice and be glad in it.

P: From the rising of the sun to its setting,

C: the name of the Lord is to be praised.

P: Return to the Lord, your God, for He is gracious and merciful,

C: slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love, and repents of evil.

P: Jesus said: If any man would come after Me,

C: let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me.

P: Christ was wounded for our transgressions.

C: He was bruised for our iniquities.

P: From the rising of the sun to its setting,

C: the name of the Lord is to be praised.


All: Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit; as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen.



First ReadingHebrews 2:1–9

Therefore we must pay much closer attention to what we have heard, lest we drift away from it. For since the message declared by angels proved to be reliable and every transgression or disobedience received a just retribution, how shall we escape if we neglect such a great salvation? It was declared at first by the Lord, and it was attested to us by those who heard, while God also bore witness by signs and wonders and various miracles and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.

Now it was not to angels that God subjected the world to come, of which we are speaking. It has been testified somewhere, “What is man, that you are mindful of him, or the son of man, that you care for him? You made him for a little while lower than the angels; you have crowned him with glory and honor, putting everything in subjection under his feet.”

Now in putting everything in subjection to him, he left nothing outside his control. At present, we do not yet see everything in subjection to him. But we see him who for a little while was made lower than the angels, namely Jesus, crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.


P: This is the Word of the Lord.

C: Thanks be to God.


Second ReadingLuke 12:49–53

[Jesus said:] “I came to cast fire on the earth, and would that it were already kindled! I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how great is my distress until it is accomplished! Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division. For from now on in one house there will be five divided, three against two and two against three. They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”


P: This is the Word of the Lord.

C: Thanks be to God.


Responsory 1 John 2:1; Psalm 32:1

P: We have an advocate with the Father: Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.

C: He was delivered up to death; He was delivered for the sins of the people.

P: Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.

C: He was delivered up to death; He was delivered for the sins of the people.

P: We have an advocate with the Father: Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.

C: He was delivered up to death; He was delivered for the sins of the people.


Catechism Ten Commandments

You shall have no other gods. 

You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God. 

Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.

Honor your father and your mother. 

You shall not murder. 

You shall not commit adultery. 

You shall not steal. 

You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor. 

You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. 

You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.


Hymn – A Lamb Goes Uncomplaining Forth (LSB 438)


A Lamb goes uncomplaining forth,

The guilt of sinners bearing 

And, laden with the sins of earth,

None else the burden sharing;

Goes patient on, grows weak and faint,

To slaughter led without complaint,

That spotless life to offer,

He bears the stripes, the wounds, the lies,

The mockery, and yet replies, 

“All this I gladly suffer.”


This Lamb is Christ, the soul’s great friend,

The Lamb of God, our Savior,

Whom God the Father chose to send

To gain for us His favor.

“Go forth, My Son,” the Father said, 

“And free My children from their dread 

Of guilt and condemnation. 

The wrath and stripes are hard to bear,

But by Your passion they will share

The fruit of Your salvation.”


“Yes, Father, yes, most willingly 

I’ll bear what You command Me.

My will conforms to Your decree,

I’ll do what You have asked Me.” 

O wondrous Love, what have You done! 

The Father offers up His Son,

Desiring our salvation. 

O Love, how strong You are to save! 

You lay the One into the grave 

Who built the earth’s foundation.


Lord, when Your glory I shall see 

And taste Your kingdom’s pleasure, 

Your blood my royal robe shall be,

My joy beyond all measure!

When I appear before Your throne, 

Your righteousness shall be my crown;

With these I need not hide me.

And there, in garments richly wrought,

As Your own bride shall we be brought 

To stand in joy beside You.


Sermon


Hymn – Christ Be My Leader (LSB 861)


Christ be my Leader by night as by day;

Safe through the darkness, for He is the way.

Gladly I follow, my future His care,

Darkness is daylight when Jesus is there.


Christ be my Teacher in age as in youth,

Drifting or doubting, for He is the truth.

Grant me to trust Him; though shifting as sand,

Doubt cannot daunt me; in Jesus I stand.


Christ be my Savior in calm as in strife;

Death cannot hold me, for He is the life.

Nor darkness nor doubting nor sin and its stain

Can touch my salvation: with Jesus I reign.


Offering


Prayer 

P: In peace let us pray to the Lord:

C: Lord, have mercy.

P: For the gift of divine peace and of pardon, with all our heart and with all our mind, let us pray to the Lord:

C: Lord, have mercy.

P: For the holy Christian Church, here and scattered throughout the world, and for the proclamation of the Gospel and the calling of all to faith, let us pray to the Lord:

C: Lord, have mercy.

P: For this nation, for our cities and communities, and for the common welfare of us all, let us pray to the Lord:

C: Lord, have mercy.

P: For seasonable weather and for the fruitfulness of the earth, let us pray to the Lord:

C: Lord, have mercy.

P: For those who labor, for those whose work is difficult or dangerous, and for all who travel, let us pray to the Lord:

C: Lord, have mercy.

P: For all those in need, for the hungry and homeless, for the widowed and orphaned, and for all those in prison, let us pray to the Lord:

C: Lord, have mercy.

P: For the sick and dying and for all those who care for them, let us pray to the Lord:

C: Lord, have mercy.

P: Finally, for these and for all our needs of body and soul, let us pray to the Lord:

C: Lord, have mercy. Christ, have mercy. Lord, have mercy.


Prayer of the Day 

P: Almighty God, our heavenly Father, You have given to all who believe exceedingly great and precious promises. Grant us Your Holy Spirit that we may without all doubt trust in Your Son, Jesus Christ, so that our faith in Your sight may never be found wanting; through the same Jesus Christ, our Lord.

C: Amen.


Collect for the Word 

P: Blessed Lord, You have caused all Holy Scriptures to be written for our learning. Grant that we may so hear them, read, mark, learn, and take them to heart that, by the patience and comfort of Your Holy Word, we may embrace and ever hold fast the blessed hope of everlasting life; through Jesus Christ, Your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.

C: Amen.


Luther’s Evening Prayer

I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have graciously kept me this day; and I pray that You would forgive me all my sins where I have done wrong, and graciously keep me this night. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen.


Blessing

P: Let us bless the Lord.

C: Thanks be to God.

P: The almighty and merciful Lord, the Father, the + Son, and the Holy Spirit, bless and preserve you.

C: Amen.


Closing Hymn – Abide with Me (LSB 878)


Abide with me, fast falls the eventide.

The darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide.

When other helpers fail and comforts flee,

Help of the helpless, O abide with me.


I need Thy presence ev’ry passing hour;

What but Thy grace can foil the tempter’s pow’r?

Who like Thyself my guide and stay can be?

Through cloud and sunshine, O abide with me.


Come not in terrors, as the King of kings,

But kind and good, with healing in Thy wings;

Tears for all woes, a heart for ev’ry plea.

Come, Friend of sinners, thus abide with me.


Swift to its close ebbs out life’s little day;

Earth’s joys grow dim, its glories pass away;

Change and decay in all around I see;

O Thou who changest not, abide with me.


I fear no foe with Thee at hand to bless;

Ills have no weight and tears no bitterness.

Where is death’s sting? Where, grave, thy victory?

I triumph still if Thou abide with me!


Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes;

Shine through the gloom, and point me to the skies.

Heav’n’s morning breaks, and earth’s vain shadows flee;

In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.


Postlude 

+ + +


+ WORSHIP LEADERS +

Preacher/Celebrant/Liturgist – Pastor Scott Jonas

Organist/Pianist/Soloist – Seth Carruthers

Sound/Video – Mike Toney


Acknowledgments
Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.