Pages

Thursday, December 3, 2020

Weekly Newsletter

Glimpses of Glendale
Glendale Lutheran Church Newsletter
December 3, 2020
I got a wonderful text from a Glendale family this week. It was a video from the DeBord family. Jason, the father, is an elder. Emma is the daughter. Mom, Lisa, took the video on her phone from the front seat of their car. It was focused on their youngest, William, in the back seat. William looks in the camera and asks, “Pastor, can bears be a pet in heaven or can they not be a pet in heaven?” 

I love this sooo much! I love that the DeBord family talks about God. I love that their kids feel free to ask questions about heaven and bears. I love that they included me as a resource for their family faith life. I sent an answer to William but this Sunday in the Children’s message I will answer the question once and for all, “Can bears be a pet in heaven?”

I was so inspired by William’s question that I came up with an idea that I’m very excited about. Almost all of our families with children are worshipping with us from home: the DeBords, the Lanes, the Climers, the Boehmes, the Grossenheiders, the Aubles and the Dons. I encourage them to come up with a question about God or the Bible and send it to me in a video on my phone (805-345-6658). Each Children’s message I will try to answer their question to the best of my ability. By the way, I encourage grandparents to do the same. If you are with your grandkids, come up with a question together and send it to me. Kids have inquisitive minds and ask great questions. Of course answer their question according to your understanding of the faith. I don’t promise to have the best answer but I promise to give it my best effort. This is an opportunity to talk about God together in your home. This will let kids know that they are important in the kingdom of God and Glendale Lutheran. I can’t wait to hear from you.
Please wear a mask during worship services.
Daily Bible Reading
The Glendale Lutheran Food Drive
It is a very sad picture to watch the long, long lines of people waiting to be given some food to take home.  

Although there is a short time (deadline December 18) to make this project work, any contributions of food or money will be welcome. You can place the food on the table in the hall. Please think about bringing things like canned chicken and tuna, peanut butter, soups, etc. If you want to contribute but cannot do the shopping, you can give whatever amount--nothing is too small or too large--to either Marcia Hempel, Cathie Albers or Pastor Scott. We will be identifying a local pantry able to receive the food for distribution. Thanks to the Schlichters for getting the program started with a $250 Thrivent card - and to all the others who participate, thank you.
Angel Tree
Our Seminary Families Tree in the back of church is decorated with ornaments with the names of children of seminarians. Please select an ornament, if you wish to participate, and purchase a gift for the child whose name is on the ornament. Wrap the gift and place it under the tree with the child’s name and your name and address on it by Sunday, December 13. The gifts will be delivered to the children that week. The seminary families really appreciate our thoughtfulness and generosity in making this Christmas extra special for the children. If you have any questions, please contact Mary Skouby.
Next Sunday's Bible Readings
Isaiah 61:1-4, 8-11; 1 Thessalonians 5:16-24; John 1:6-8, 19-28
Worship Leaders 12/6
Lector: Oliver LaMie
Communion: Steve Phelps
S/V: Andy Ortstadt
Bible Class S/V: Tony Petzoldt
Usher: Ken Clark
Worship Leaders 12/13
Lector: Ryan Barnett
Communion: Tony Petzoldt
S/V: Mike Toney
Bible Class S/V:
Usher: Mike Toney
The Word Within the Word