Pages

Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Worship Bulletin - Midweek Advent


Welcome to Glendale Lutheran!

Pastor Scott Jonas would love to talk to you. You can contact him via cell 805-345-6658 or email scottjonas314@gmail.com.
Midweek Advent Service
6:30pm
Organ Prelude

Lighting of Advent Candle

Opening Hymn – O Come, O Come, Emmanuel (LSB 357)

O come, O come, Emmanuel,
And ransom captive Israel,
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear.  Refrain

Refrain:  Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
              Shall come to thee, O Israel!

O come, Thou Wisdom from on high,
Who ord’rest all things mightily;
To us the path of knowledge show,
And teach us in her ways to go.  Refrain

O come, O come, Thou Lord of might,
Who to Thy tribes on Sinai’s height
In ancient times didst give the Law
In cloud and majesty and awe.  Refrain

O come, Thou Dayspring from on high,
And cheer us by Thy drawing nigh;
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night,
And death’s dark shadows put to flight.  Refrain

O come, Desire of nations, bind
In one the hearts of all mankind;
Bid Thou our sad divisions cease,
And be Thyself our King of Peace.  Refrain

Opening Sentences Genesis 12:3; Romans 4:22, 24; John 8:56
P:  The Lord promised Abram, “I will bless those who bless you,
C:  and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”
P:  Paul reminds us that Abraham’s faith was “counted to him as righteousness.”
C:  “It will be counted to us who believe in Him who raised Jesus.”
P:  Jesus said, “Abraham rejoiced that he would see My day.
C:  He saw it and was glad.”

Psalm Psalm 105:1–11, 42–45; antiphon: v. 42
P:  Oh give thanks to the Lord; call upon His name;
make known His deeds among the peoples!
C:  Sing to Him, sing praises to Him;
     tell of all His wondrous works!
P:  Glory in His holy name;
let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice!
C:  Seek the Lord and His strength;
     seek His presence continually!
P:  Remember the wondrous works that He has done,
His miracles, and the judgments He uttered,
C:  O offspring of Abraham, His servant,
children of Jacob, His chosen ones!
P:  He is the Lord our God;
His judgments are in all the earth.
C:  He remembers His covenant forever,
the word that He commanded, for a thousand generations,
P:  the covenant that He made with Abraham,
His sworn promise to Isaac,
C:  which He confirmed to Jacob as a statute,
to Israel as an everlasting covenant,
P:  saying, “To you I will give the land of Canaan
as your portion for an inheritance.”
C:  For He remembered his holy promise,
and Abraham, His servant.
P:  So He brought His people out with joy,
His chosen ones with singing.
C:  And He gave them the lands of the nations,
and they took possession of the fruit of the peoples’ toil,
P:  that they might keep His statutes
and observe His laws.
C:  Praise the Lord!
He remembered His holy promise, and Abraham, His servant.

First ReadingPsalm 13:1-6
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?
  How long will you hide your face from me?
How long must I take counsel in my soul
  and have sorrow in my heart all the day?
How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?
Consider and answer me, O Lord my God;
  light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death,
lest my enemy say, “I have prevailed over him,”
  lest my foes rejoice because I am shaken.
But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
  my heart shall rejoice in your salvation.
I will sing to the Lord, because he has dealt bountifully with me.

P:  O Lord, have mercy on us.
C:  Thanks be to God.

Second Reading Hebrews 11:8–16
By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place that he was to receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going. By faith he went to live in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, heirs with him of the same promise. For he was looking forward to the city that has foundations, whose designer and builder is God. By faith Sarah herself received power to conceive, even when she was past the age, since she considered him faithful who had promised. Therefore from one man, and him as good as dead, were born descendants as many as the stars of heaven and as many as the innumerable grains of sand by the seashore.
These all died in faith, not having received the things promised, but having seen them and greeted them from afar, and having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. For people who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland. If they had been thinking of that land from which they had gone out, they would have had opportunity to return. But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city.
P:  O Lord, have mercy on us.
C:  Thanks be to God.

Third ReadingJohn 8:48–59
The Jews answered him, “Are we not right in saying that you are a Samaritan and have a demon?” Jesus answered, “I do not have a demon, but I honor my Father, and you dishonor me. Yet I do not seek my own glory; there is One who seeks it, and he is the judge. Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.” The Jews said to him, “Now we know that you have a demon! Abraham died, as did the prophets, yet you say, ‘If anyone keeps my word, he will never taste death.’ Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? And the prophets died! Who do you make yourself out to be?” Jesus answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, ‘He is our God.’ But you have not known him. I know him. If I were to say that I do not know him, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and I keep his word. Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad.” So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?” Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.

P:  O Lord, have mercy on us.
C:  Thanks be to God.

Responsory Based on Genesis 12:7; Hebrews 11:8, 16; John 8:58
P:  To your offspring I will give this land.
C:  We desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one.
P:  By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go.
C:  We desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one.
P:  Before Abraham was, I am.
C:  We desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one.
P:  More than only celebrating Abraham’s faith, this next hymn raises our sights to the better country God promises us by grace.

Hymn – Chief of Sinners Though I Be (LSB 611)

Chief of sinners though I be,
Jesus shed His blood for me,
Died that I might live on high,
Lives that I might never die.
As the branch is to the vine,
I am His, and He is mine.

Oh, the height of Jesus’ love,
Higher than the heav’ns above,
Deeper than the depths of sea,
Lasting as eternity!
Love that found me—wondrous thought!
Found me when I sought Him not.

Only Jesus can impart
Balm to heal the wounded heart,
Peace that flows from sin forgiv’n,
Joy that lifts the soul to heav’n,
Faith and hope to walk with God
In the way that Enoch trod.

Chief of sinners though I be,
Christ is all in all to me;
All my wants to Him are known,
All my sorrows are His own.
He sustains the hidden life
Safe with Him from earthly strife.

O my Savior, help afford
By Your Spirit and Your Word!
When my wayward heart would stray,
Keep me in the narrow way;
Grace in time of need supply
While I live and when I die.

Sermon
Offering
We are excited to announce a new option for electronic giving using your mobile device. Please scan the following QR code or visit https://tithe.ly/give?c=815174 to make a donation.
Offertory                                                                                                                                  
Collects
P:  Let us pray. Lord Jesus, guide and protect clergy and lay leaders of Your Church. Enable them to lift people’s hearts and minds to look beyond global pandemics, natural disasters, and political upheavals to see the eternal Kingdom, which You have graciously opened to all people who trust in You for life and health and peace. Bless those who till the soil, manage farms, transport supplies, and distribute food and clothing where they are needed. Son of David,
C:  hear our prayer.
P:  Almighty Lord, give wisdom and courage to those who lead governments, command armed forces, and maintain order in society. Give them hearts to seek peace so that warfare with neighbor states and civil strife within them give way to prosperity, health, and cooperation. Increase our faith to depend on Your eternal promises of the better country that awaits us by grace. Son of Abraham,
C:  hear our prayer.
P:  Jesus, Light of the world, open the hearts of all who are burdened by their scandals and other past sins. Surround them with faithful people to tell them about Your coming in human history to give Yourself for them. Protect and guide all law enforcement personnel, first responders, health care workers, and counselors. Help them balance justice, mercy, and compassionate care so that many may have their lives repaired and hope restored. Son of scandal,
C:  hear our prayer.
P:  Gracious Lord, cared for by Your adopted human father, Joseph, remember people like him, those who have been forgotten, whether dispossessed, incarcerated, or isolated for any reason. Remember not their sins and iniquities but give them a sense of Your abiding presence. Nurture in us all a love for Your will so that we obediently do whatever You ask. Son of Joseph,
C:  hear our prayer.
P:  Servant Savior, born in a stable to a lowly Virgin, remind us again that You turn the world’s ways upside down. Give strength to the weak, lift up the downtrodden, provide hope for the despairing, announce peace to the distraught, and proclaim eternal forgiveness to all burdened by their sin. Son of Mary,
C:  hear our prayer.

Collect for Today
P:  Lord Jesus, You promised Your ancestor Abraham that through him all the families of the earth would be blessed.
C:  Strengthen the faith we share with him in Your gracious promises. Grant that during our sojourn on this earth we ever look toward the better country You have prepared for us.
P:  Son of Abraham,
C:  hear our prayer.

Collect from Sunday
P:  Stir up our hearts, O Lord, to make ready the way of Your only-begotten Son,
C:  that by His coming we may be enabled to serve You with pure minds;
P:  through the same Jesus Christ, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.
C:  Amen.

Luther’s Evening Prayer
C:  I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have graciously kept me this day; and I pray that You would forgive me all my sins where I have done wrong, and graciously keep me this night. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen.

Lord's Prayer
C:  Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven; give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever. Amen.

Benedicamus
P:  Let us bless the Lord.
C:  Thanks be to God.

Benediction
P:  The almighty and merciful Lord, the Father, the + Son, and the Holy Spirit, bless you and keep you.
C:  Amen.

Closing Hymn – Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus (LSB 338)

Come, Thou long-expected Jesus,
Born to set Thy people free;
From our fears and sins release us;
Let us find our rest in Thee.
Israel’s strength and consolation,
Hope of all the earth Thou art,
Dear desire of ev’ry nation,
Joy of ev’ry longing heart.

Born Thy people to deliver;
Born a child and yet a king!
Born to reign in us forever,
Now Thy gracious kingdom bring.
By Thine own eternal Spirit
Rule in all our hearts alone;
By Thine all-sufficient merit
Raise us to Thy glorious throne.

Organ Postlude      
+ + +

WORSHIP LEADERS
Preacher/Liturgist – Pastor Mark Kiessling
Organist – John Frank
Acknowledgments
Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.