Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Worship Bulletin - Midweek 3/13


Welcome to Glendale Lutheran!


Midweek Lenten Worship

March 20, 2024

6:30pm

Prelude 


Greeting and Welcome


Lighting of the Candles


Hymn of Invocation – Agnus Dei (LSB 210)


Opening SentencesPsalm 118:24; 113:3; Joel 2:13; Matthew 16:24; Isaiah 53:5

P: This is the day which the Lord has made;

C: let us rejoice and be glad in it.

P: From the rising of the sun to its setting,

C: the name of the Lord is to be praised.

P: Return to the Lord, your God, for He is gracious and merciful,

C: slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love, and repents of evil.

P: Jesus said: If any man would come after Me,

C: let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me.

P: Christ was wounded for our transgressions.

C: He was bruised for our iniquities.

P: From the rising of the sun to its setting,

C: the name of the Lord is to be praised.

All: Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit; as it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen.


Reading Genesis 22:1–8

After these things God tested Abraham and said to him, “Abraham!” And he said, “Here am I.” He said, “Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you.” So Abraham rose early in the morning, saddled his donkey, and took two of his young men with him, and his son Isaac. And he cut the wood for the burnt offering and arose and went to the place of which God had told him. On the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes and saw the place from afar. Then Abraham said to his young men, “Stay here with the donkey; I and the boy will go over there and worship and come again to you.” And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering and laid it on Isaac his son. And he took in his hand the fire and the knife. So they went both of them together. And Isaac said to his father Abraham, “My father!” And he said, “Here am I, my son.” He said, “Behold, the fire and the wood, but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?” Abraham said, “God will provide for himself the lamb for a burnt offering, my son.” So they went both of them together.


Hymn – The Lamb (LSB 547, verses 1-3)


The Lamb, the Lamb,

O Father, where’s the sacrifice?

Faith sees, believes

God will provide the Lamb of price! Refrain


Refrain:Worthy is the Lamb whose death makes me His own!

The Lamb is reigning on His throne!


The Lamb, the Lamb,

One perfect final offering.

The Lamb, the Lamb,

Let earth join heav’n His praise to sing. Refrain


The Lamb, the Lamb,

As wayward sheep their shepherd kill

So still, His will

On our behalf the Law to fill. Refrain


Reading Genesis 22:9–14

When they came to the place of which God had told him, Abraham built the altar there and laid the wood in order and bound Isaac his son and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. Then Abraham reached out his hand and took the knife to slaughter his son. But the angel of the LORD called to him from heaven and said, “Abraham, Abraham!” And he said, “Here am I.” He said, “Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me.” And Abraham lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, behind him was a ram, caught in a thicket by his horns. And Abraham went and took the ram and offered it up as a burnt offering instead of his son. So Abraham called the name of that place, “The LORD will provide”; as it is said to this day, “On the mount of the LORD it shall be provided.”


P: This is the Word of the Lord.

C: Thanks be to God.


Hymn – The Lamb (LSB 547, verse 4)


He sighs, He dies,

He takes my sin and wretchedness.

He lives, forgives,

He gives me His own righteousness. Refrain


Refrain: Worthy is the Lamb whose death makes me His own!

The Lamb is reigning on His throne!


Message


Offering


Prayer 

P: In peace let us pray to the Lord:

C: Lord, have mercy.

P: For the gift of divine peace and of pardon, with all our heart and with all our mind, let us pray to the Lord:

C: Lord, have mercy.

P: For the holy Christian Church, here and scattered throughout the world, and for the proclamation of the Gospel and the calling of all to faith, let us pray to the Lord:

C: Lord, have mercy.

P: For this nation, for our cities and communities, and for the common welfare of us all, let us pray to the Lord:

C: Lord, have mercy.

P: For seasonable weather and for the fruitfulness of the earth, let us pray to the Lord:

C: Lord, have mercy.

P: For those who labor, for those whose work is difficult or dangerous, and for all who travel, let us pray to the Lord:

C: Lord, have mercy.

P: For all those in need, for the hungry and homeless, for the widowed and orphaned, and for all those in prison, let us pray to the Lord:

C: Lord, have mercy.

P: For the sick and dying and for all those who care for them, let us pray to the Lord:

C: Lord, have mercy.

P: Finally, for these and for all our needs of body and soul, let us pray to the Lord:

C: Lord, have mercy. Christ, have mercy. Lord, have mercy.


Luther’s Evening Prayer

I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have graciously kept me this day; and I pray that You would forgive me all my sins where I have done wrong, and graciously keep me this night. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen.


Blessing

P: Let us bless the Lord.

C: Thanks be to God.

P: The almighty and merciful Lord, the Father, the + Son, and the Holy Spirit, bless and preserve you.

C: Amen.


Closing Hymn – I Am Jesus’ Little Lamb (LSB 740, verses 1, 3)


I am Jesus’ little lamb,

Ever glad at heart I am;

For my Shepherd gently guides me,

Knows my need and well provides me,

Loves me ev’ry day the same,

Even calls me by my name.


Who so happy as I am,

Even now the Shepherd’s lamb?

And when my short life is ended,

By His angel host attended,

He shall fold me to His breast,

There within His arms to rest.


Postlude 


+ WORSHIP LEADERS +

Preacher/Celebrant/Liturgist – Pastor Steve Albers

Organist/Pianist/Soloist – Seth Carruthers

Sound/Video – Paul Barbercheck

Acknowledgments
Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.